Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianM38

Strung hackle

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Yeah, thats what I thought. I have a rather long string that I forgot about and that one weighs 1.2 and used alot of it in the past. It may be worth it at $12.00 for 1 oz.

Just guessing I would say between 75-100 hackles. This is the only way I purchase them now. Buying a full Saddle or Neck capes is a waste of money for me because I no longer tie midge sizes 22-28's. I am not sure how much a 1oz package is, I buy what looks to be a 1/4 neck.

BrianM38:

I use them all the time and have a few pounds of them in a few colors. What length are you looking for is a question you have to ask yourself? Typically when you get them it is will say 4"-6" or 6"-8" but sometimes you can find them in say 5" or 7" or 8"(much easier before the flue). When they say 4"-6", it means that if you unroll the full string, about three yards, it will have 4" on one end and 6" on the other and the feathers between will be graduated from the 4" to the 6". Kinda cool but you wonder how much fun it is to pluck and line up the feathers before they are sewn in. I know that the ones from Rumpf tend to be very good and bright. The ones I get by the pound are pretty good and somewhat consistent. You should expect to get about an 80% yield but sometimes less. You will also have to learn to deal with feathers that twist but that is not a big thing.

If you need more info let me know.

Brad

View PostBrianM38:

I use them all the time and have a few pounds of them in a few colors. What length are you looking for is a question you have to ask yourself? Typically when you get them it is will say 4"-6" or 6"-8" but sometimes you can find them in say 5" or 7" or 8"(much easier before the flue). When they say 4"-6", it means that if you unroll the full string, about three yards, it will have 4" on one end and 6" on the other and the feathers between will be graduated from the 4" to the 6". Kinda cool but you wonder how much fun it is to pluck and line up the feathers before they are sewn in. I know that the ones from Rumpf tend to be very good and bright. The ones I get by the pound are pretty good and somewhat consistent. You should expect to get about an 80% yield but sometimes less. You will also have to learn to deal with feathers that twist but that is not a big thing.

If you need more info let me know.

Brad

Thanks Brad,

For what I do the longer the better. What burns me is spending $5.00 for a few usable feathers from name brand companies. I have delt with that for years. Now that I possibly have a source, im going to give them a try. Whats the worst that can happen?...... I guess I will be out $12.00cwm27.gif

Partial quote from bbuzzi: "I use them all the time and have a few pounds of them in a few colors."

Pray, tell: where do you get them in that volume? Buying them in the 1/4 ounce pack (all we see here) is not very cost-effective. Thanks. KD.