Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MDM

Mojo 10 6" 3/4 to 4 Review

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Finally fished the 10 6 Mojo. Picked it up at Surfland in Plum Island for 230.00

I got this rod to replace the 1205 I sold two years ago.

I have a ZB 25 with 50lb braid and 50lb leader on this rod and it felt good and balanced. It casts and fishes more like a 10' rod. Very light and not too taxing on the body when casting all night (6 hours).

I like the grip material and the lack of a Rod Butt on the end didnt factor in at all. In fact I liked that it didnt have a rubber knob on the end because It didnt snag on my waders when working plugs and changing hand position. I fish mostly with the butt under my arm and only go betewwn the legs if I am spent tired.

I couldnt tell it was a 2 piece. No slipping or twisting in 6 hours.

It casted 1/2 oz plastics up to 2.5 oz swimmers really well. Casted the light stuff better than the 1205.

Fought fish up to high teens in strong current and surf great. I felt very confident and liked the extra length for leverage and moving the fish through the rock for the release.

The Arra 1205 was for me the measuring stick for 10' rods. I think the Mojo does it as well with a bit more tip flex for throwing soft plastics on light heads. Its a great all rounder.

I dislike the color and Mojo logo. Looks like a sign for a gay Tattoo parlor but thats just me.

Other than that I love this stick.

I'vr been fishing the same since early May, and it's been wonderful. I've been able to throw smaller plugs great distances, and that's meant a lot more fish.

Great value for the money.

The 2-6 rated one is also a great stick.

The 3/4-4 can throw a little more top end than my old 1204/new 1203 XRA. It doesn't cover all the bases of the 1205 towards the top, because the 1205 can throw 5--but lots of guys never throw more than 3 to 3-1/2 from the surf.

IMO though, the 2-6 throws 3 to 3-1/2 better than the 3/4-4. Under 3 oz the lighter rod rocks. I tested both of them last April.

The 2-6 rated one is also a great stick.

The 3/4-4 can throw a little more top end than my old 1204/new 1203 XRA. It doesn't cover all the bases of the 1205 towards the top, because the 1205 can throw 5--but lots of guys never throw more than 3 to 3-1/2 from the surf.

Yep, even with the 1205 the most I would ever throw up here is may be 3oz.

I have had the same rod now for a couple of months and love it for casting 1 to 3 ounce bucktails, plugs and soft baits. The striper action was slow yesterday morning on the Arkansas River but my five year old was catching nice Channel Catfish (3 to 7 pounds) one right after the other on cut skipjack on his 5'10' Shakespeare Wal-Mart special spinning rod and his little Shimano Stradic 1000FI. (He was probably more excited than one of you catching 50 pound stripers one after the other).

I got tired of being shown up by a five year old, so I put a piece of cut skippi on a 3/0 circle hook and cast below a bridge column and sat down to watch him. I had just leaned my Mojo on the ice chest, and quickly heard it clatter on the rocks on the river bank. I had a 15 pound Channel cat on the bank in a few minutes. State record is only 38 pounds so that was a good one-certainly biggest I have ever caught

It is probably complete heresy using such a beautiful rod for catfish, but it is a great catfising rod too!

John

I also dislike that Mojo logo.But thats not important,i do know St.Croix purposely left the butt cap off the Mojo and Legend rods because of that factor of many pluggers putting the rod between there legs while working a plug.

They have a hard plastic insert but chose to skip on a more pronounced butt cap.

To be honest who really cares about the logo. The logo is the same as the original bass rods with 'surf' added. I had 2 of the bass rods which preformed flawlessly for years. I now have a 10' Mojo surf which I have had 2 reels mounted to it. My primary reel for it is a Shimano TwinPower SW6000 which is an awesome setup due to it's lightweight and can work plastics and pencils all day no problem. The other reel I have tried on it is my ZB ZX25 which also worked out very well. The ZX is usually mounted to a XS101MS. The 10' Mojo is rated 1-4 oz, I have used lightweight plugs and plastics along plugs upto 3.25 oz. It handled all of them very effectively. I also like that there is no knob/butt cap as the rods action works well for pencils. The rod loads up nicely right through 1 to 3.25 oz. I will say that I have not really laid into it on anything over 3 1/4 oz though but I fell it should handle it.

As for fighting fish the rod is just plain awesome. I have not caught any monsters with it yet but I'm not worried about when I do. I have caught stripers from schoolie size through (esimated) 37 lbs along with 2 decent Musky. I was able to turn them quickly and handle them all very well

I do kind of wish that I had got the 10'6" but not really sure why.

In all the rod casts very well(weight wise and distance), has very good action and has a great backbone for handling fish-I would and do recommend it to others

When I first got my Super Surf 10' 1 to 4 oz. rod I figured that was it! I liked it so much I would never need anything else. THEN! Mojo fever set in, I had to try one. I bought the Mojo 3/4 to 4. Love it! Now I really don't need anything else with the Mojo and the Super Surf.

IS the Legend that much better?

How is it in comparison to the Triumphs?

I have two of the ten footers that I've stopped using due to the weight and balance of them.

I've been using a Tsunami Airwave 9 footer but would like something around 10 feet that can handle some of the 2 oz stuff with snap casts.

Like I said, I have two Triumphs and the upgrade option takes a big chunk out of the price for me.

I have the 3/4-4 and 2-6oz 10'6" mojos and they are much less tip heavy and overall lighter than the triumphs due to the low profile guides, blank and wrap. I originally went with the airwaves over the triumphs because of the triumph balance and weight.

I also have the airwave 9 + 10 footers and the mojo's are in a completely different class. So much so that I donated my airwaves to the guest fishing equipment.

The 3/4-4 casts so effortlessly and the 2-6 will put the brakes on big fish in current.

View PostHow is it in comparison to the Triumphs?

I have two of the ten footers that I've stopped using due to the weight and balance of them.

I've been using a Tsunami Airwave 9 footer but would like something around 10 feet that can handle some of the 2 oz stuff with snap casts.

Like I said, I have two Triumphs and the upgrade option takes a big chunk out of the price for me.

I've read 6 months worth of reviews here on the Mojo and since I was on the market for a second rod have finally gotten one. The feedback on this site is so valuable to a consumer like myself that really can't afford to just experiment on tons of rods. Can't wait to try mine!drool.gif

View PostI have the 3/4-4 and 2-6oz 10'6" mojos and they are much less tip heavy and overall lighter than the triumphs due to the low profile guides, blank and wrap. I originally went with the airwaves over the triumphs because of the triumph balance and weight.

I also have the airwave 9 + 10 footers and the mojo's are in a completely different class. So much so that I donated my airwaves to the guest fishing equipment.

The 3/4-4 casts so effortlessly and the 2-6 will put the brakes on big fish in current.

Now you've got me thinking I need the 2 - 6 for my Big Water Pikies!

I threw my GRS 2.5-4.5 ozers with that rod and they fly like the wind.

Jigging the bottom of the canal with 4-5oz shads you can feel every rock and detect hits on the drop perfectly.

View PostNow you've got me thinking I need the 2 - 6 for my Big Water Pikies!

When I first got my Super Surf 10' 1 to 4 oz. rod I figured that was it! I liked it so much I would never need anything else. THEN! Mojo fever set in, I had to try one. I bought the Mojo 3/4 to 4. Love it! Now I really don't need anything else with the Mojo and the Super Surf.

IS the Legend that much better?

The Legend is a completely different animal.The Legend uses SC-4 graphite instead of SC-2 and it incorporates integrated poly curve tooling technology and advanced reinforcing technology where as the Mojo doesnt.Along with being made in Wisconson and having a lifetime warranty.IMO the legends require a great deal of patience and time to get them to perform at the level they are capable of. The Mojo is allot easier.I know some people have given up on the Legend and sold it before they really had a chance to experience its potential, i almost did myself but i am glad i didnt because its performance once you figure it out is breathtaking.