Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mlc611

Stripers at Joppa/Mouth of Merrimac

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping to go saltwater fishing for my first time out by the Joppa flats or on the mouth of the merrimac. Planning on being there after dark with the outgoing tide. Any advice for what sort of rig to use? I have spinning reels and was thinking of mackerel or worms with 5oz weights.

Are artificial worms/eels any good at night?

Thank you,

Mike

Last week worms were doing good alot of little fish the ratio has been like 2 keepers a nite.This Friday nite the mack was the bait 1 keeper taken.It's been tough 4 the lure fisherman I should know i'm 1 of them.

View PostLast week worms were doing good alot of little fish the ratio has been like 2 keepers a nite.This Friday nite the mack was the bait 1 keeper taken.It's been tough 4 the lure fisherman I should know i'm 1 of them.

Where were you fishing. Becuase I fished Plum from 2 afternoon to 2 in the night and didnt see any fish caught the whole time I was there. Tons of skates but did not see a fish caught................... You must have been in a boat

I was out on the flats Fri night and we caught several fish, mostly schoolies, but did get 1 32" on worms that we released. Before dark we were using sluggos and one of my buddies was using flies, but the rest of the night worms was it. Fish died off around 1:30AM though....

Punisher i got there around 10:30 and left at 2:30.I was fishing the bowl ,inner south jetty and ocean front and finished off near the capt's lady.I was standing at the bar on incoming and was talking 2 3 younger guys who caught 3 schoolies right in front of me with mack.I kind of stick out i were a orange and silver breaker jacket.I actually got a hurt that nite i stepped in to a pocket that was deeper than i expected and jarred my leg pretty good still feel it.

I also was there friday night into early saturday morning. Drifting eels, my buddy and myself boated three keepers, largest 36 inches 15lbs. Fought two others that broke off and had a couple of runs and drops. All in four feet or less of water. It was a descent night. It was good to get the action since we have a 3 hour drive just to get there. Tight lines.

I was fishing right next to those guys on the point. I seen them catch one schoolie but it was just to dead for me to fish anymore. Mustve got the fish on the incoming because the outgoing was absolutely dead.

Haven't fished daylight at PI in a long time but went yesterday afternoon. Now I know why I don't do this. There were 100 people fishing, all more knowledgable than the next. One guy with two live eels on a fishfinder, another with Yum worms hanging from his 4 oz. pyramid, and another with earthworms. You get the idea.

Fish were basically non-existant. From what I could see the boats weren't doing much better. Didn't see any bait and birds were not working. Hoping the night is better.

From here on through Labor Day, Fri afternoons through Sunday on the river and Joppa are tough unless you have a boat and/or can fish at 1 or 2 AM. On the beach you at least have some elbow room during more reasonable hrs. As for the river, it's pretty much dawn or nights during the work week if you want to avoid the worst of the crowds there.

-bd

View PostFrom here on through Labor Day, Fri afternoons through Sunday on the river and Joppa are tough unless you have a boat and/or can fish at 1 or 2 AM. On the beach you at least have some elbow room during more reasonable hrs. As for the river, it's pretty much dawn or nights during the work week if you want to avoid the worst of the crowds there.

-bd

I fish shore and boat there and would add the having a boat doesn't help on the Summer weekends. I launched today at 4 AM and hauled out by 7 AM, not because I wasn't catching but because of all the googans that come out on the weekends. And don't get me started on the ramp antics.

I agree that nights and dawn during the week are best bets from shore in the river. We did OK there a couple of mornings this week.

View PostI fish shore and boat there and would add the having a boat doesn't help on the Summer weekends. I launched today at 4 AM and hauled out by 7 AM, not because I wasn't catching but because of all the googans that come out on the weekends. And don't get me started on the ramp antics.

I agree that nights and dawn during the week are best bets from shore in the river. We did OK there a couple of mornings this week.

This is why I've gone against my temptation of dumping my yak up on Joppafrown.gif

View PostOne guy with two live eels on a fishfinder.

I don't know what I would like to see more. The Ultimate eel ball suicide or two 32lb Bass on each hook. smile.gif