Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Dopiest Thing You've Cast on a Flyrod

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Ken Gerhardt, who sometimes pops into this Forum under his current handle, once remarked to me that he didn't much bother with tying flies; he superglued a small grub tail to a hook and did just fine with local stripers. (This was a long time ago and not on SOL.) I have a stash of very small Felmlee Sand Eels somewhere that I mean to glue to a hook in the same way. (Typical ... the basement's such a train wreck that I couldn't find them for the recent Camp Worm trip to RI. Very annoying). A small Jelly Worm should be castable on a 10weight; on a floating fly line, it'd make an interesting un-fly fly presentation to your local largemouth.

What kind of nonstandard stuff have you guys/gals tossed on a flyrod?

IMGP08932.jpg

I' ve been taking big LM bass with these crappie size rubber baits that are glued to # 1 eagle claw hooks. i use a 6 wt rod.

IMGP0890.jpg

i've had similar success catching carp by gluing dog food pellets to big scud hooks, they float.

channelcatfish003.jpg

greensunshine002.jpg

That carp looks remarkably like a largemouth bass to me, but I take your point. The IGFA may sniff, but as far as this poster is concerned, if the thing the fish bit was cast with a flyrod, you're fly fishing. Period.

A chunk of cut "Spot" on a 5/0 wire snelled hook. ( 9 wt with floater ) ... yes, it accounted for some nice bluefish in the 5 to 7 pound class. Fly-box got left

in the Explorer. kooky.gif

i thought the thread read: Dopiest Thing You've Cast on a Flyrod.

there was no mention of honor. unfortunately, I am not a classically trained fly fisher. i do not use my creations to fish for trout. i do use them when they will give me an advantage to catch fish.

often i hear the argument that when fishing for carp you should not chum or use dog biscuits. under ideal conditions, you do not need to chum up carp but how many can find clear shallow water so that carp can be pursued in that manner? in off color water chumming is a way to get carp to feed on the surface. without the aid of chum, carp can not be seen in muddy or off color water.

some consider fly fishing anything but dry flies to be a break from the fly fishing traditions. I don't think that anyone should mention honor

within the context of this thread.

Bill

While on a float trip I once cast a small trout that hit my fly just as we were ordered by the guide to switch sides (for casting). This guy was pretty teutonic so my friend and I had gotten into the habit of following his orders quickly.

We were on the Still Water in Montana. The guide told us to switch; I turned and then cast my fly which was now behind me. I felt some resistance as I casted and then heard a slapping sound which was the sound from the trout hitting the guide on the head. It was a 4 - 5 inch fish and I was fishing a stiff 6 weight which had no problem launching the fish. We all had a good laugh about it (including the guide) I don't think the fish enjoyed the flight.

Redgills, a chub that I hooked and tossed back out for a big trout (unsuccessfully), and long leader nymphing rig in close quarters such that I was basically spin fishing.

Glasshouse, if you can post a picture of one, I'd like to see it. The idea sounds like fun, even if having two trebles thrashing around in the air sounds like tangles waiting to happen.

I glued a 3" chartreuse and white banjo minnow to a lightwire hook and took it to the salt. Caught eight fish in a row before it popped off. I love that lure. Wasnt even that hard to cast on a 9wt.