Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

License and Law in Foreign Places

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Submitted For Your Consideration .......

Let us discuss license laws AND legally required fishing practices in foreign places (Mexico, Europe, New Jersey, and so on.)

This comes from two different places. One is the mention of buying your Mexican fishing license in the "fiscal" where you would otherwise go to buy ... well, I don't know. What's a "fiscal?"

Second, what about Europe? I'm going to PM Marcel Kassies and ask him to step into this thread. I ask because John McPhee, in "The Founding Fish," mentions that in Germany it is illegal and deemed immoral to return a hooked fish to the water. It didn't surprise me that in Germany a fishing license requires a 30-hour course of study, a written exam, and a practical exam by an experienced angler. I was not surprised to read that, having qualified, you must then obtain a specific permit to fish a body of water for a designated time period. What DID surprise me was to read that both German law and German angling mores prohibit, as a matter of animal cruelty, the return of a caught fish to the water. I wonder if this is true elsewhere in Europe. Does Austria follow German practice in this regard? What about the countries of SE Europe, many of which are heavily influenced by German culture? If you were to catch a huchen in the Austrian Alps, or Montenegro, are you obliged to kill it? Marcel will know. Other members who are familiar with the wider world are asked to step in, too.

i know in Costa Rica they require a fishing license. The lodge we used furnished them for their guest. In Los Suenos CR they sold the license at the head of the dock at the marina --could not get on the docks with out one. I have not fished there in several years --so it could of changed.

In Baja our host has licenses for my group.

I have only been checked in Costa Rica.

You need on in NC and they will write you a ticket. Charter boats / head boats and fishing piers can buy a blanket for their customers. Annoys me a little that my blanket license does not cover me. We better get use to it--more coming down the line

A few issues back in Fly Fisherman there was an article about catch and kill in Switzerland. I believe that this is new reg. What the reasoning is I have no idea.

There is a belief in some circles that with catch and kill you can limit the number of fish you CATCH, not just keep, since you are only allowed to keep a certain number of fish. So if the reg says one fish and you catch that one fish you must kill it and walk away reducing unintended kills when releasing fish that may not make it. It stems from the belief that it is less cruel to kill the animal than torture it and release it where it may encounter a slow painful death.

Personally I think it is the wrong way to think for people fishing artificial lures as most try hard to land fish quickly and revive them before the release so I suspect mortality is low for that population of fisherman.

Where I do agree with that logic is for bait fisherman that don't use circle hooks where many a short fish is gut hooked and will not survive the release with a rotting hook and gaping wound in it's belly. I've seen plenty a short fish washed up on shore that was clearly gut hooked and released because it was below the size limit. This is not to call out the bait guys as being wrong in how they fish, just that the technique does tend to have a higher mortality rate and in general the bait guys are out looking for table fare so catch and kill makes some degree of sense. Those tossing bait that aren't just looking for table fare are generally using circle hooks to help ensure a clean release. Not that a circle hook prevents a gut hook 100% but it certainly helps.

In those terms perhaps the law should differ based on the form and tackle used while fishing. For bait fishermen not using circle hooks, reduce the creel limit and enforce catch and kill potentially reducing the overall unintended kills and for those fishing artificial lures/flies catch and release is allowed maintaining the same creel limit.

View PostSubmitted For Your Consideration .......

Let us discuss license laws AND legally required fishing practices in foreign places (Mexico, Europe, New Jersey, and so on.)

This comes from two different places. One is the mention of buying your Mexican fishing license in the "fiscal" where you would otherwise go to buy ... well, I don't know. What's a "fiscal?"

too.

I have no idea about the fiscal, we just purchase our licenses from the local guy at the hotel we stay at. Perhaps the fiscal refers to a particular office if your hotel does not have someone with access to the licenses?

Could be so.

McPhee was writing about fly fishing, but the gent who furnished his information about German angling practices may have been speaking specifically about bait. I'll have to do some further reading ... and perhaps invite someone from the German consulate in NY to sign up on SOL and comment. Why not?

The fiscal is the office where they sell drivers license, recieve tax payments, license cars and such as that. Every large city and most small cities have a fiscal office. Here on the gulf cost it is the easiest place for me to buy a fishing license. Good for the whole country. In spots that cater to tourists sometimes the guides or hotels will sell you a license. I have been to lakes where the game wardens could sell you a license.

A license is only required for boat fishing in Mexico but an American that does not speak spanish might be better served to get one anyway.

The catch laws are very strict as written but they are almost never enfourced. Only when some official sees a chance to get a bribe.

They have a lot of tournements in Mexico but even for a land based catch you can not win without a license.

It is my understanding that on the Pacific coast and maybe in Cancun it is common for the boats to charge fisherman for a license and then just pay a part of the fee as a bribe to the game warden type guys that check such things. Thus for me it seems safer to get a license from an official source.

It would be great if this thread could get moved to the general forum since it applies to not just fly fishing. I'm leaving tomorrow morning for turks & caicos and I'll report back what I find for there. On the 18th I'm heading to Australia, specifically right near the Great Barrier Reef so I'll report back for there in July after that trip. Sometime in July I'll be in Kenya and Tanzania, so I'll report back those countries. A master list of countries and requirements would definitely be beneficial.

In Europe licensing is simply a tax. In Spain it actually goes to commercial fishermen even though they decimate the fishing?

Fortunately all licensing efforts in the UK for fishing in the sea have failed so it remains free. If you think your fishing is under pressure come to Europe.

View PostIt would be great if this thread could get moved to the general forum since it applies to not just fly fishing. I'm leaving tomorrow morning for turks & caicos and I'll report back what I find for there. On the 18th I'm heading to Australia, specifically right near the Great Barrier Reef so I'll report back for there in July after that trip. Sometime in July I'll be in Kenya and Tanzania, so I'll report back those countries. A master list of countries and requirements would definitely be beneficial.

You will need a license if you want to DIY T&C and much of the waters around Provo is a national park where fishing is prohibited. If you fish with a guide they will typically furnish one for you but you will have to fill out the paper work as they don't have a license that covers their clients as some countries allow for.

View PostYou will need a license if you want to DIY T&C and much of the waters around Provo is a national park where fishing is prohibited. If you fish with a guide they will typically furnish one for you but you will have to fill out the paper work as they don't have a license that covers their clients as some countries allow for.

Thanks, I'm actually only staying in Provo for a night. I'll be on the island of South Caicos for the rest of my stay.

We've had a rec fishing licence in the state of New South Wales (the state in Australia in which Sydney is situated) for a few years now. Thirty Oz dollars for a year. Seventy five bucks for three years. Kids, pensioners and indigenous people (aborigines) can fish for free. Problem is, and it appears to be a universal one, is a lack of fisheries inspectors. I've fished for 35 years and never been checked by an inspector for sizes etc and never for my licence since they came in.

Legislation means ALL dollars from the licence goes into a recreational fishing trust. The trust has been funding initiatives like artificial reefs, more FADs, science research (though this is a tad controversial as some see this research as aiding commercial fishers as much as rec fishers) etc etc.

We've got the usual (well at least for a developed nation) catch and size limits and, relatively recently, some slot limits. For example, yellowtail as you guys call em now have a a size limit of 65cm (25.6 inches).

However we have no closed seasons for open water saltwater fish. We've got closed seasons for feral fish (ie trout) but not saltwater native fish.

Some other randon rules and regs: no cast nets for bait gathering etc (these are legal in the next state north, Queensland), no spearfishing in closed waters, no jagging of mullet, bream etc during their autumn spawning run.

And of course NSW now has more marine parks, with their No fishing zones, than any other NATION on this blue planet of ours. This was a political ploy by a state government which desperately needed green preference votes prior to the last state election and done without proper scientific investigation.

Though I have not been to Mexico for awhile, in the places that we went there was no mention made about a license, though you are required to have one.

Iheard some rumbling about it being included in the cost of the trip, but that just seems like it was said to make the touristas feel better, since there really was no one to enforce the license requirement there, anyway.