Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doug the dink slayer

Clearwater Beach info

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm Doug the dinkslayer. My wife just came home and said she has a conference in Clearwater Beach and do I want to go. Uh-yeah. So, I was thinking of bringing my Abu 6500 and hooks, weights, etc., and buying a rod there to use and then leave when we come home. Are there tackle stores close by where I could buy a rod? Are the beaches there fishing friendly. I expect I'll have to walk a ways to get away from the swimmers and sun bathers. Of course we have a lot of concerns about the oil slick. Does anyone know it if is there at Clearwater Beach or is it expected to reach there.

I'm really excited about getting to fish in the salt. Thanks for any info you can give me. FISH ON, Doug

I'm sure someone from that area will chime in eventually. I am south in Sarasota so I am of little help in that area.

I would imagine though that you can probably catch snook, trout and probably an assortment of other fish from the beach up there. Call the place where your wife is staying and ask them if they know of a tackle shop nearby and give them a call. I would think that's your best bet.

Good luck.

Riight now tarpon are near the beach (early morning, ) use live pinfish, croakers, mullet , ,,a few small snook spotted (a little behind normal migration, probably the cold snap early in the year), lots of whiting (dead shrimp) shark( any type cut bait), spanish mackerel (here and there) gotcha plugs and cut bait, a few speckled trout ( doa shrimp , and mirro lures).

Water temp is mid 80's, air temp up to 95, cooling at night...best times to fish ....before daylight, and at sunset, on weekends ...forget fishing from 10am to about 5 pm ( too many people in the water) No oil thus far, no more than 3 ounces needed for weight, able to fish with 1/2 oz jigs from shore ( current is usually light and water is not very deep ,,,4-5 ft), bait and tackle shops...betts in largo florida, dogfish tackle in largo, tightlines in tampa, look online for listings...I use my 7' airwave with a Certate 3000 1/2 oz jig or 3/4 oz casting weight and 2/0 CIRCLE hooks (spinning ) or 11ft Tica Surf with Saltiga Blast 4000 , size 4/0 CIRCLE hook, 3 oz weight...

View PostI did see bait running in the surf, you could also cast net bait.

Glad I could help,,bring sun screenwink.gif

You over looked : : "" Bring Money also, Be sure to leave most of it "" we need the cash

Just bought my out of state full year license...

$50

Ouch, they got some of mine.

View PostYou over looked : : "" Bring Money also, Be sure to leave most of it "" we need the cash