Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MVP

Results of 6/4 Cod Charter out of NH

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Headed out to NH on Cod Charter put together to target Big Cod that they have been catching this past week. Put a great crew together that consisted of Stellios, Uncle Paulie, Mike G, Ken, my dad and myself.

The reason I put this trip together was to have a real good shot at 50 lb cod that they have been catching consistly for the past 5 days. Headed out under great conditions at 5 am and were fishing shortly after as area that they have been targeting these fish was only 9 - 12 miles out. Started out in the Mud and had some nice action right of the bat with quality fish coming over the rails with several in the 20 - 30 lb range. Fish were not feeding heavily early and many were snagged in the back. Stellios (aka Back Door Stelli) caught several in the Ass and was all smiles and seemed to enjoy it. Rumor has it that Greeks like it that way. Uncle Paulie (aka The Rack or The Rock) put some nice fish in the boat but the big boys kicked his ass breaking one of his custom unbreakable rods and also lost a big fish to too much drag. He also had a tough time bringing in fish RACK that he snagged and caught a big ROCK that was moving.

Stellios was busting his balls all day. If he treats family like this I hate to see what he does to strangers. Mike G (aka Magens Law) started off slow catching small fish but then came on strong at the end putting some real nice fish in the box. If your looking to get a rod made with some incredible thread work give him a call. They are a work of art. Ken (aka Boilamaker) stayed quite and consistant catching throughout the whole trip. My Dad is more a bait fisherman and at 77 swinging a jig all day is not his thing but managed to stick it out and managed to catch a few nice fish.

All fish were on Jigs in 250 - 270 ft of water. Fish would not touch the clam. Fish were right on the bottom and responded to twitching jig of the bottom like you would do bucktailing for fluke rather than long sweeps of the rod or squidding as they are not chasing bait at this time. Fish were in the 8- 35 lb range with most in the teens and twenties with a few 30's mixed in. Only 2 shorts caught all day. Even though we did not get the 50 pounder I was looking for, the trip was a great success with great crew, great weather and great captain (Capt Ralp). I got to fish with a few new guys and made 3 new friends. Can not asked for more. Luckily I was catching consistently throughout the day so the ball busting were targeted to others. That is one of the nice things about catching early as the target stays off your back for the day. Special thanks to Mike G for filling in last spot due to so called friend KenZ dropping out and stiffing me on the trip.

MVP

Great post, MVP. Sounds like a wonderful day. Kudos to your dad for hanging in there. My father's been gone for years...what i wouldn't give for one more day on the water with him.

View PostGreat post, MVP. Sounds like a wonderful day. Kudos to your dad for hanging in there. My father's been gone for years...what i wouldn't give for one more day on the water with him.

Mick,

I feel the same way. I always make a special trip like this just for him. One day he will not be around and i never want to look back and say to myself I wish I would have.

MVP