Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RegDunlop

Recommendation needed: good brand of quality FISH OIL supplement

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I take Costco's house brand, Kirkland. 1000 mg, 3 caps a day. A jar of 400 costs about $15.

In conjunction with meds, and changes in diet, my total cholesterol went from the mid 300s to 126. LDLs dropped from 90 to 60, and HDLs are now 50 from 35. Need to bring them up a little more.

However, before going on meds and changing my diet, with Omega 3s alone my total cholesterol dropped from 300+ to a hair over 200.

Donna is VERY particular about her supplements. Currently, the bottle in the cabinet is made by Nordic Naturals. 120 softgel caps of 1000 mg per capsule, yeilding 690 mg Omega-3.....

Breakdown is:

EPA - 330mg

DHA - 220mg

"Other" Omega 3's - 140mg

Oleic Acid (Omega 9) - 116mg

The fish oil is derived from anchovies and sardines. Can't tell you a price, as she peeled off the price tag.

In the past, I think she has also bought the Solgar brand and/or TwinLab brand.

My wife buys Natures Bounty at the local Shop Rite supermarket. I take 2 (1000) a day.

My total cholesterol was 153. Then the doctor figured Lipitor would be good heart maintenance drug. My cholesterol is now 100. The ldl and hdl still need some tweeking.

Most fish oil capsules are hard on the stomach and have a nasty after taste. I found a product called Coromega made specifically to alleviate those problems and it has one of the best bio absorption rates of any omega 3 supplement. It is in packets and flavored. I get orange/chocolate. It is the consistency of pudding and can be eaten right out of the foil packet or I like to mix it in my morning protein shakes. My cholesterol went from 210 to 178 in a year, although overall diet and exercise played a big part, too. Great product. I get it at Vitamin Shoppe.

If you have insurance, get a doctor to give you Lovaza, it is pharmaceutical fish oil . My triglycerides were off the chart, over 540, and it took me 2 years with a little change in diet, no meds, and that stuff to get it right. I do not think all the stuff on the shelves is pure.

dont I remember a convo on here at some point...discussing the bunker versus other fish... saying flackseed oil (or some ****) is as potent...

I've been using a brand called Res-Q 1250 for years. It's a gell capsule,no belching and no taste,high grade phamacoligical active ingrediants. It has helped with the triglycerides and cholesterol numbers to where the Doc backed off on the med doseages. Just my experiance.

I say no taste,but just don't ever chew one by mistake cwm31.gif

View Postdont I remember a convo on here at some point...discussing the bunker versus other fish... saying flackseed oil (or some ****) is as potent...

I think you're right. And flax seeds aren't netted by Omega.smile.gif

View PostI've been using a brand called Res-Q 1250 for years. It's a gell capsule,no belching and no taste,high grade phamacoligical active ingrediants.

I need to look into those. I hated the ones I was taking because I tasted them all day.

View PostI think you're right. And flax seeds aren't netted by Omega.smile.gif

Neither are deep cold water fish like sardines, anchovies, mackeral, etc......rolleyes.gif