Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RCrowley

Billybob, CV joint question

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

About 6 months ago the seals blew on both CV joints a on my VW.

I want to see if I stretch out their lifetime by repacking grease up in there. What are my chances of success? What kind of grease?

If they are making noise at this point they need to be replaced. Kind of odd to have both go at the same time bro there might be something else going on. After 6 mos my guess is that they are knocking pretty good. Get new ones before you start trashing control arms and what not.

View PostIf they are making noise at this point they need to be replaced. Kind of odd to have both go at the same time bro there might be something else going on. After 6 mos my guess is that they are knocking pretty good. Get new ones before you start trashing control arms and what not.

When I switched over to winter tire rims I noticed the summer tire rims had grease plastered all over the inside walls. I looked at the boots and both boots had cracked in one of the bellow's narrow spot.

They are just beginning to click under tight turning while apply power.

Car is 10 years old and has 120K on so I'm tempted to try and grease them until I want to fork over he cash for replacing them.

If you have been running them with the boots torn for 6 months they are junk now. While you might have been able to just replace the boots when it first happened that option is now gone.

Swallow the bitter pill and replace both joints. If you are mechanically inclined you should be able to do the replacement yourself.

The c/v axles are probably pretty cheap for that car, we can get them for as low as $50.00 depending on the make /model down here. BTW, there may be indeed something going on to cause BOTH sides to break at the same time.....check your motor/trans. mounts real good.beers.gif

When you say they blew, do you mean that the boots tore?

Is it clunking yet?

If that's the case, I would just replace the axles.It's an easy job to do yourself.

If they're not clunking and you don't want to spend the cash right now, just drive it and save up til it starts clunking.

The problem with trying to regrease and reboot is that any crud that's in there is what will make the joint fail - it's not the grease leaking out it's the sand and water that gets in which does them in.

Even if you are able to catch it before any damage is done, you'd still have to pull the axles, clean and grease the joint really good, reboot, it's just a dirty job that's not really worth it.