Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RiddleFish

metal lip placement and through hole ???

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

its looks like a lot of metal lips are placed in the center of the plug causing a need for the through hole to be somewhat lower than center and even towards the very bottom of the plug.

My question is how to you through drill these style plugs with offset through holes?

i have no problem drilling through holes straight through the plugs or stock....

my question is about dannys for instance they seem to have the metal lip in the center of the plug making it necessary for the through hole to be more toward the bottom of the plug. How is this type of through drilling accomplished?

View Posti have no problem drilling through holes straight through the plugs or stock....

my question is about dannys for instance they seem to have the metal lip in the center of the plug making it necessary for the through hole to be more toward the bottom of the plug. How is this type of through drilling accomplished?

The drill press method is relevant to what you are asking.

View Post seem to have the metal lip in the center of the plug making it necessary for the through hole to be more toward the bottom of the plug. How is this type of through drilling accomplished?

I have a drill chuck I put in the lathe (just need the correct morse taper) and use the lathe to drill the through hole. Works very well.

If you are making a danny like you mentioned then cut your lip slot on center, take your lip you want to use and put it in the slot. Mark the hole in the lip slot with a punch or awl. Remove the lip and drill through hole with your lathe or press or however you choose to. Only thing different is the hole is lower.

The principle is that you have a bit aligned to drill to a reference point that you are using to locate the opposite end that you are drilling from. This allows you to start "off" center on one end and on center at the other and meet in the middle.

greek,

this is making more sense to me now, im using a drill press, doesn't this mean that my plug will need to be held at a small angle rather than completely vertical?

View Postgreek,

this is making more sense to me now, im using a drill press, doesn't this mean that my plug will need to be held at a small angle rather than completely vertical?

Yes.

clamp a plank of wood to the drill press table, drill into it with an "appropriate" size bit(one that matches the "alignment pin" that you chose) and drop some sort of "alignment pin" into the hole like a nail, dowel center, or whatever. viola!