Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Riptide

When ANOTHER 1/2 day bass trip goes BESERK!

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Today was just another one for the books! Mike C and JB were tied up until mid morning but still wanted to hang some bass. JB loves to flyfish and this was certainly the time to get some nice bass on the fly. Dispite an 11 A.M. launch out of Sandwich we were able to get JB on the fish in short order.

Jebbassfly.JPG

He was doing a number on the bass with the 10wt, when Charlie began going mental all around us. Mike C tossed a new Tuna Ron-Z into the melee and it was game on! Mike's done tuna before so JB got the call and the fight was on. In short order we had the fish in the boat. A nice "little" 59 INCH fish. Its the smallest one I've heard of landed so far among all the 68-70+ stuff. But for his first tuna fight it was perfect.

Jebtuna.JPG

After a few pics and an ice nap for Charlie, we go back to hanging bass on the fly. Sure enough Charlie gets too close and Mike C makes him pay. Another bullseye with the Ron-Z tuna heaed and we are tight once more. This time they put ME on the fish and Mike C works the wheel. I put the screws to the fish on the Stella / Big Gun and in minutes we have the leader out of the water. A little too much GRUNT and we chafe the fish off with the leader in the rood tip. Win/Loose....you decide it was around the same size as the first one and was going back anyway, the single hook in the corner should rust/fall out soon and saved us man-handling the fish boatside.

Once again we TRY to get back to the fly fishing for bass, but before I can move the boat Charlie goes airborn right next to us. I fire a shot into the boil with the Zon-Z tuna lure and before I can say "MIKE CHASE HIM!", I'm down 300 yards and dumping on the Stella / Big Gun!!!! The guys don't want any part of this fish so I'm back on another one. This fish is no joke and every time we get near him he smokes the big Stella. I'm in the Black Magic and pouring the coals to this fish and he is just taking line at will. I figure its gonna be a legal fish, so for us it will be a trophy fish since we have the 59" on ice. JB readies the Poon should we deem the fish legal and I keep pumping the fish closer. Mike made the Big Contender dance like a lady and in about 40 minutes we get color. The fish is big and Mike C is ready with the Poon. I know its close, but I don't want to kill a short fish. So we work it a little more and with a quick hand-off of the rod to JB I get a clean lip shot on the fish. We measure the fish and he hits the tape at 71" even. Close but not a keeper.

We get the hook out of the fish and kick one motor in gear. We swim the fish for 15 minutes to make sure he has good color and is swimming well.

71release.JPG

71release2.JPG

71release3.JPG

After the fish was revived to the point I had trouble holding him we kicked him loose to fight another day!!!!! It was awesome to see that fish color back up and swim fins up and out. It took some time, but its whats going to need to be done if we are going to be fighting and releasing such big fish on spinning gear.

With that as the finally to the day we lit the fuse on the Verado's and screamed home for a nice dinner and some celebration drinks!

Final tally around 40-50 nice bass on spin and fly. 2 tuna landed and one tuna thats a jump ball as to if it was landed or lost. The lure of choice today was a new Ron-Z 10" with a HUGE 4X swinging tuna hook. The fish could not stay off of it.

Overall just a spectacular 1/2 day trip. We left at 11 and were back at the dock by 5. Now THATS getting things done!

More catching, less fishing, Papa Tide! Enjoy the Tuna steaks Riptide, can't wait for my Charlie ride in the yak. Nice work, not bad for a guy who used to live in the town I grew up in (Go Bulldogs!). Fly highfive.gif

View PostTerry,

Yet again another great story! I want to be you in my next life!!

Bring an extra body, cuz mines gonna be beat to hell after this life biggrin.gif

Yes ,I know what you mean.I used to fish bass tournaments every week and i would be wiped the next two days.I don't think people realize it's a lot of work being a guide.....but it sure beats digging ditches ,or in my case,running a sandwich/foodstore...By the way great website.I've got to save my pennies and bring my 19 yr old son and 18 yr old daughter down...they'd both be in heaven catching those big stripers and tuna.

Surprised that your customer didn't want to try tuna on the fly? This class of fish is too big for the 10 wt Im guessin? Are you still plannin on hanging one on the fly this year? If so what gear are you plannin on using?

View PostSurprised that your customer didn't want to try tuna on the fly? This class of fish is too big for the 10 wt Im guessin? Are you still plannin on hanging one on the fly this year? If so what gear are you plannin on using?

We are. Several sports are interested. Tibor Pacifics and 16+ wts.