Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chefchris401

Mono/Fluro Leader for the Ditch

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

What test are you guys using for the ditch?

Ive been using 50lb ande big game leader material, tying my own, 3 to 4 foot lengths.

I had a fish (23lbs) hit my plug then submarine to the bottom, i successfully landed the fish but the leader was severely chaffed and ready to break, im thinking if that fish had been much bigger i would have lost it.

im thinking of going up to 60, a friend throws 80lb when he jigs.

Just curious what everyone else is using or a tip that might help.

i plug with 60lb mono leaders, but for jigging always use a leader with a lower breaking strength than your mainline, so when you do hang up you can break the leader and not lose a bunch of braid. i jig with 50lb braid tied to a spro swivel to 24in of 40lb ande to a breakaway

40lb floro all the time, jigs and plugs, never had a problem, when i run out of the stash illgo back to mono but i stilll got about 10 spools of floro i got really cheap a few years back

I use 50lb Seaguar Fluoro. Any big fish is going to take you down to the bottom and try to rub his face in the rocks to get you off, no matter what lb test you are using you run the risk of breakage. The key is to keep their head up and they can't break you off.

The leader should be lighter test wise than your running line. If you hang up (and you will jigging if you are doing it right) You want the leader to break before your your braid parts. Nothing worse than breaking off 50 or 100 yds of braid.

I like leader material and change it often. Flouro isn't needed IMHO.

Thanks guys, was just double checking, ill be sticking with 50 lb andes big game leader material.

i tried to break that 50 lb leader that was frayed and I couldnt do it, so it is tougher than what i thought.

a buddy of mine snaps his 50lb mono leader before his 20lb braid often when he gets hung up, when i get hung up I almost always break at about the braid to swivel knot and I use 50b PP and 50lb flouro cwm13.gif . Do I tie weak braid knots (improved clinch)?

View Posta buddy of mine snaps his 50lb mono leader before his 20lb braid often when he gets hung up, when i get hung up I almost always break at about the braid to swivel knot and I use 50b PP and 50lb flouro cwm13.gif . Do I tie weak braid knots (improved clinch)?

I would'nt tie braid with that method. I'll show you how I tie mine, since I don't know the actual name. real easy and fast.

View Post...Do I tie weak braid knots (improved clinch)?

I've always used the polamer knot with braid and made sure the two strands of braid do not cross one another on the item your tying the braid to.

Never experienced any breakage.

View PostI've always used the polamer knot with braid and made sure the two strands of braid do not cross one another on the item your tying the braid to.

Never experienced any breakage.

What he said...Palomar knot on braid to swivel...never broke one yet

thats suprising. A while back i did some break tests with polomar and clinch knots and the clinch was about 5-10% stronger, but i was using mono (10lb test). Maybe I should try that again headscratch.gif