Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
InshoreFisherman24

Daiwa saltist 2 speed for the surf

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have been looking at possibly buying a Daiwa saltist 2-speed lever drag reel and was wondering if anyone has one and how good it would perform for the surf or long distance casting. What kind of fish could it handle and what other conventional non-levelwind reels should I consider looking at?

I own 2 - use them for the surf and have 65# Spiderwire Stealth installed. Of course they're static magged so no backlashes. It has worked to perfection so far and the biggest creature I've landed was a stingray about 80lbs. or so. I throw them on 14' Outcast Longshots with 5 or 6 oz. lead BTW - a nice distance combo. The low gear comes in handy when fighting fish or reeling in "dead" weight objects such as rubbish or big moray eels, etc. - when you need that extra torque.

I got one for my father in law to use (LD30), I never tried casting it, but it doesn't spin like an Avet. It seems like it would be easier to cast because it just doesn't have that motorized feeling spin like an Avet.

I use a LD20 , static magged .Field testing with a very large magnet(1/2") in it I have test casted it 550' with 5 and 6oz . Unlike the avet there is a lot of room inside the left hand side to play around with various size and placements of magnets. It will in all likelyhood replace my avet sx's .

The only down side is on the LD20 when gripping the rod you can pinch your hand between the forward angled gear box and the rod . Should not be a problem on a LD30 as this has a wider frame .

I also like the high speed gear , 6.3-1. The 20 holds 300yards of 20lb fireline and it very tame the way I overmagged it which I do especially with braid/sudobraids.

What are you fishing for? There is probably no need for a two speed model in the surf, unless you're planning to fish heavy line for biiig fish. If you go with the saltist, you would most likely have to static mag it for spool control..but of course that depends on your experience level. The avet MC models come with an adjustable magnetic cast control. THe SX MC, MXJ MC, and MXL MC are all appropriate models for surf fishing.

View PostWhat are you fishing for? There is probably no need for a two speed model in the surf, unless you're planning to fish heavy line for biiig fish. If you go with the saltist, you would most likely have to static mag it for spool control..but of course that depends on your experience level. The avet MC models come with an adjustable magnetic cast control. THe SX MC, MXJ MC, and MXL MC are all appropriate models for surf fishing.

Yes, the Avets are great too in that they come with MC and you don't have to mag them yourself. They offer 2 speed also and built in USA with machined aluminum frames as opposed to cast like the Daiwa. I opted for the Daiwa 30LD because of the size - Avets do not have a model with that capacity. The SX would be closest. I also have 2 regular SX's and they are great as well. I use 50lb. braid in those.

View PostWhat are you fishing for? There is probably no need for a two speed model in the surf, unless you're planning to fish heavy line for biiig fish. If you go with the saltist, you would most likely have to static mag it for spool control..but of course that depends on your experience level. The avet MC models come with an adjustable magnetic cast control. THe SX MC, MXJ MC, and MXL MC are all appropriate models for surf fishing.

I wanna target medium sized sharks, big bull reds and large black drum. But really any big fish I can hook and give me a good fight, ill target it.

View PostI wanna target medium sized sharks, big bull reds and large black drum. But really any big fish I can hook and give me a good fight, ill target it.

Are you planning to use mono or braid? If mono, you're going to need a bigger reel.

View PostAre you planning to use mono or braid? If mono, you're going to need a bigger reel.

Im looking at possibly the LD40 since I might for for 20 or 30lb mono, but if I were to buy either one of the smaller models I would prolly go with some braid for castibility.