Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SaberTooth

Suzuki feedback

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I've decided to repower my 18' center console. The original engine is a Mercury 150 two stroke but I'm not opposed to considering another manufacturer. I want to go four stroke but weight is a factor as my boat(Robalo) is already is a little stern heavy. I'm looking at a Suzuki DF140. The weight is about right and it comes with a six year warranty.

Anyone have any good/bad experience with Suzuki engines? All feedback appreciated. Thx.

where i used to work they were very high on suzuki, had several differnt models on different boats that were used several times a week over 9 month a year. also, a couple of friends of mine are also running zuki's and have nothing but great things to say about them, one has a df140, the other a df50. I have a yamaha F90 and think they're great too. IMO, i'd go suzuki or yamaha (bias towards yammies though). flip a coin.. do you need that much horsepower on a 18'? to save some weight you might be able to run a 115 if there is a sizable weight difference between the 2?

View PostI've decided to repower my 18' center console. The original engine is a Mercury 150 two stroke but I'm not opposed to considering another manufacturer. I want to go four stroke but weight is a factor as my boat(Robalo) is already is a little stern heavy. I'm looking at a Suzuki DF140. The weight is about right and it comes with a six year warranty.

Anyone have any good/bad experience with Suzuki engines? All feedback appreciated. Thx.

Personally I think Suzuki builds the best outboard on the planet right now. Had a DF115 5 boats ago. 4800 Hours and still running like a top for the current ownersmile.gif

I have a Johnsuki 30hp on my tiller boat. Never been winterized, and sits in the boat sling 12 months a year. when the channel freezes up I either just push the ice out, or chop my way and then push it biggrin.gif. Also have a f225 though, and love that toobiggrin.gif.

Oh - just got a flats boat with a df90, and thats not bad either. I sure do love my four strokes. Only thing that would sway me one way or the other is a mechanic I could trust that would only service one or the other.

I owned a DF140 & would highly recommend it, go w/ the 140 instead of 115hp, if you ever want to ski/tube behind it, you'll have the extra power & if WX gets bad you can run FASTER..the only thing is finding a mechanic that works on them in your area...GREAT ENGINE heart.gif

I have one of their 70 hp motors on a small center console. Easily the best running, most trouble free motor I've ever owned; and I've owned all the big brands. Only complaint is there are not a lot of full service dealers. In other words, there are plenty of dealers that will sell you a new Suzuki, and rig it for you, but not a lot that can handle any repair. Fortunately, all my motor has ever required was new oil and spark plugs at the beginning of the season and it was good for another season. When I hit 500 hours the motor was out of warranty, so I had a local mechanic replace the timing belt, water pump and a few other things and the motor ran as good as new. I'd buy another one in a second, if this one ever craps out, but it's showing no signs of slowing down after 6 years of frequent use.

Valentine

I have only heard great things about Suzuki's from several people that run them hard and a few mechanics as well. They are quiet and very efficient and with proper care can run for many troublefree hours.