Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HanoverStriper

How long do you stick with a plug/bait?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

When you're out plugging, how long do you stick with what you're throwing? I was out this morning for a couple of hours in an area where I know there are fish (saw plenty of them). I must have thrown 8 different plugs/rubber. Had at least 4 keeper size bass follow me all the way in, then turn away (laughing at me I believe).

So my question is, if you saw fish, and they're not hitting what you're throwing, how long do you wait before switching it up? Do you make 15 casts then change? Do you stick with what they're following, but not hitting?

Ineterested in hearing what you guys would do. I feel like maybe I was being impatient.

View PostI try to identify what bait is in the water. Like sand eels I like to use a 6 inch brown/silver sluggo and so forth.

I would do the same, but unfortunately I didn't see any bait in the water. Sluggos were about the only thing I didn't have in the bag, and probably would have done the trick.

If I'm getting fish to follow a plug, but not hit, I'll make a few more casts at different retrieval speeds. If I don't have a hit, I will start throwing every plug I have until I get a hit.

View PostIf I'm getting fish to follow a plug, but not hit, I'll make a few more casts at different retrieval speeds. If I don't have a hit, I will start throwing every plug I have until I get a hit.

That was my approach today. Unfortunately, every plug came up empty. Worked the entire water column. Threw a swim shad, bombers, bucktail, prey, pencil, other poppers. Nada. Watched one fish massacre something on top just before I left.

View Post...

So my question is, if you saw fish, and they're not hitting what you're throwing, how long do you wait before switching it up? Do you make 15 casts then change? Do you stick with what they're following, but not hitting?

Ineterested in hearing what you guys would do. I feel like maybe I was being impatient.

There is a fellow who most of you MA guys know who works at a local B&T who changes lure type and color after 5 casts if he has no hits.... then starts the cycle over.

Myself, about eight to ten before I repeat the cycle.

When fish sniff swimmers I change to a pencil/spook and work it faster than normal (with brief pauses). I'm trying to excite them and not give them time to think things over. The commotion of the pencil gives them a less clear look at the plug, as well. It often fails, but works more often than sticking with the swimmer.

I'm to patient. If I feel confident, I could toss one fly or one plug / plastic all day...

If I'm staying in one spot, Ill probably cycle through plugs / plastic about every 20 casts or so - if nothing is hitting. If stuff is hitting, Ill toss the same thing all day.

View PostThat was my approach today. Unfortunately, every plug came up empty. Worked the entire water column. Threw a swim shad, bombers, bucktail, prey, pencil, other poppers. Nada. Watched one fish massacre something on top just before I left.

If all else fails, use dynamite. wink.gif

I'm the worst to ask this question of. My buddies always bust my stones. I will hook/land a fish on one plug, then switch to anotherkooky.gifkooky.gif . I literally have to talk myself into staying with what's working at the time. I think I do it to justify all the ****e I purchase over the winter months...ha ha.

I had the same scenario over the weekend. Had fish sniff everything from pencils to dannies, but would not commit. I figured what the heck, let me try a needle even though the application was completely opposite traditional thinking on needles. first cast, i picked up a little weed so i start cranking. Weed falls off (I assume) and POW fish explodes on the needle as I'm RIPPING it across the top. Same thing for the next hour or so with a number of decent fish.

Sometimes (and I'm convinced that this season will continue to be like this) you just gotta do the opposite of what you have learned/read/experienced. Like Costanza..."It became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision I've made in my entire life has been wrong. My life is the complete opposite of everything I want it to be. Every instinct I have, in every aspect of life, be it something to wear, something to eat - it's all been wrong."

Like black RonZ at 2 in the afternoon.....who knew!!!???

Note to self:

Bring dynamite, sluggos, and something my wife suggests might catch fish.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It's effin frustrating watching some big bass follow everything in and turn away (as i'm sure many of you have experienced). Maybe I need a 3 row bag?

Sounds like the fish are there, maybe try a different tide or time of day. Water temps play a large role in a fishes feeding behavior. First light, is always a good bet.