Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HighTide

SRI Boat Accident

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Apparantly, this happened Wednesday night in that dense fog. There were 2 people and a dog on board. They were rescued and everybody is ok. Looks like the boat took a serious beating. I was out this morning and that fog was brutal. Could only see 5-10 feet ahead of me. Be careful guys.

Strange. It looks like they have radar which should have picked up on the reflectors. Perhaps the captain got disoriented in the dark and fog which happens even to trained airline pilots.

I was fishing once between the peir and the south jetty and had a boat run in between the two fast enough I started running up the beach because I though he was coming up at me. He threw it in reverse probably a milisecond before being grounded beyond recovery. There is rocks that go a ways from the jetty to the south. I am sure the bottom of his hull was banged up. You should not be going back into what you think is an inlet and see green on your right.

View PostStrange. It looks like they have radar which should have picked up on the reflectors. Perhaps the captain got disoriented in the dark and fog which happens even to trained airline pilots.

I doubt that is radar. That dome looks more like a satellite TV antenna. At least they could watch themselves on the news after they hit the rocks. smile.gif

View PostProbably thought the pier was the south jetty, hope he had insurance.

I think you are right. On radar, the pier shows up as south jetty. Most likely he thought that the pier was the south jetty. Local knowledge helps and it never hurts to go slow.

FYI, that boat is still lodged at the south jetty. I think they are getting it out tomorrow with a crane.

View PostLocal knowledge helps and it never hurts to go slow.

Slow would also be a nice courtesy to the people who fish the inlet from shore.

View PostI doubt that is radar. That dome looks more like a satellite TV antenna. At least they could watch themselves on the news after they hit the rocks. smile.gif

What he said^^^^ it's not radar

this was clearly the work of stunt bennies cwm13.gif keep your eyes and ears open. they keep flipping cars near toll booths causing 3 hour commutes, now this

View PostTraffic was bad and it was the only parking spot available.

View Postthis was clearly the work of stunt bennies cwm13.gif keep your eyes and ears open. they keep flipping cars near toll booths causing 3 hour commutes, now this

View PostI doubt that is radar. That dome looks more like a satellite TV antenna. At least they could watch themselves on the news after they hit the rocks. smile.gif

clapping.gifcwm27.gif

I've been working this accident since it happened about 0100 on Thursday morning. The boaters had experience and their home port was Belmar.

They were coming back from Atlantic City and got socked in in very heavy fog that rolled in quickly. Apparently, the inlet lights were not visible and the captain was coming in on radar.

I do not know this for a fact, but the Coast Guardsmen who were working with me said that the radar signature of the Belmar Fishing Club Pier appears as the South Jetty of the inlet when approached from the South. He also said that the North Jetty is lower and is in the radar shadow of the South Jetty when approached from the South. The owner, his wife and his dog were wet roped off the boat by the USCG. It was very sad to watch and hear the rending and tearing of fiberglas and teak as the 43' Silverton was torn apart on the rocks. We could not even board her to remove and of the personal possessions of the owners.

Here's a few pics..

Thursday morning at about 1100..

boat1.jpg

Friday morning at 0800..

boat2.jpg

Friday morning at about 1100

boat3.jpg

and Friday afternoon at about 1500

boat4.jpg

I'll be out tomorrow morning to oversee the removal of the engines, fuel tanks (if they are still there) and any remaining debris.

At least no one was injured. All you boaters out there need to remind yourselves that conditions can change very quickly and 1 mistake can easily be your last.