Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clopes

live lining macks

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Well I've been reading about getting the macks. So if I succeed doing that what's the best way to hook one? I was thinking through the bottom up through the top of the mouth or above the dorsal. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Tks.

If I'm using a circle hook It's up through the bottom and out through the top with a 6/0. J Hook for the nostrils in 6/0 or 8/0. If anchored in the shallows and ballooning it's through the back dorsal with 6/0 or 8/0 Circle.

Also if you are running braid on your set up watch out for the mac doing circles under your ballon. they can make a big mess if there is any slack in your lines.

Thru the nostrils (small live bait hook, if harvesting a keeper), I'm looking for that classic headshot. I think this will help keep your mack more lively and it will survive longer. If I'm not trolling, behind the dorsal fin (circle hook, if CPRing). I tend to use long 50 to 80# floro leaders with any livelined baits. If I want the bait to dive in the water column without weight, hooked in the arse, keep your line taunt and it will dive. Ouch! cwm27.gifsmile.gif

Live lining macks is the best thing going right now heart.gif ....they won't be in for long, so get your kicks in while you can!

Through the nose works well for me...sometimes up through the jaw....