Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bigfatcha

Jigging for sea bass ?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I am assuming in shore therefore, Small Jigs in tandem tipped w/ Gulp swiming mullet. For The upper jg make a dropper loop 12" above the bottom jig and loop on the second jig.

Jigs shld be Heavy enuff to be striaght up n down.

No fast jigging, just drop it down n lift slowly, they are quick this will give you the chance to hook em.

If the hooks on your jigs are too big use a smaller " stinger" hook slipped on to the jig hooks.

Gonna need to be light line 10# test and 20# test mono leader. You may wanna try short squid strips also they flutter and are tuff for the cbass to get off the hook, also gives you a good chance to hook em.

For me a spinning outfit to jig cbass is funky to handle and be able to drop back down quickly if need be, therefore If you have a light conventional setup w/ a fairly fast retrieve shld be okay and can alo use it for jigging fluke wink.gif

l almost forget for PB fishing make sure you bring a bait set up also, when the vessel fisrt stops and drops the hook, the action is fast and furious use the bait set up first, get some meat in the box, when you see the action dies down then try the jig.

Cast away from the " crowd" a little not too far cause tthat increases your changes of getting hung up, and then work the jig back to you , and then straight up and down.

The larger fish usually hang above the piece.wink.gif

good luck hope I helped.

Maybe some one else could add to this, also do a search brian z had some good info also.

I like to use an A17 or A27 AVA jig when anchored up over structure. I haven't done too well jigging for biscuits when drifting. They like it vertical for sure.

I also like to move the jig in short pops (maybe lifting it a foot or so each time) as opposed to big long sweeps. Also if any cod are on the piece they will certainly hit the jig too.

I agree with most everything said here with the exception that I much prefer to drift the pieces I jig on than to anchor. I mean conditions permitting of course, but I always seem to get the larger fish the first couple passes over the spot. Once the size dwindles we move on to the next spot. My favorite jig is a 3 oz crippled herring in chartreusse glow with a tiny piece of something to sweeten it up a bit.