Bucktail Pete's thought on 4x4 mobility

BrianBM

BP had a thought, in the 4x4 van thread below, which I'd like to see teased out into a full thread. He thought that a 4x4 van would be more mobile, off road, then a camper body on a 4x4 pickup. (Bucktail Pete, did I understand you correctly?)

It seems logical to me that it be so. A 4x4 Quigley is probably a hell of a lot cheaper to buy and run then putting a van body on an F350 or equivalent (conceding, up front, that "cheap" is a very, very relative term.) However, the flip side of the question is whether the extra mobility of a 4x4 van does anything useful for the fisherman.

THEREFORE; two questions. Maybe three. For the experienced cylinder heads.

1. Is a 4x4 van more mobile then a strong P/U with a camper body?

2. Has anyone ever found a beach/surf fishing area which could safely be accessed with a 4x4 van but not a P/U with camper body?

3. Has anyone ever found ANY fishing situation which could safely be accessed with a 4x4 van but not a P/U with a camper body?

I have a suspicion that there might be more places in high elevations where the difference might matter then at the beach ... but we may have the experience here to address the question. SO, let's hear it.