Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris N

Window AC Question...

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Well, after taking the AC out of the window last year I made a 'boo boo' and stored the a/c with it 'standing up' insread of laying flat the way it would go into a window.

When I went to put it in the window this year I noticed grease coming out of the back. I plugged 'er in today and the fan works but the compressor won't kick on. Is it worth fixing or is it time for a new AC?

Thanks!

what size is it? if it is only 5000-8000 btu you could probably buy a new one cheaper than you would even get someone to look at yours.

Window AC's are pretty cheap now, so you would definitely be better off buying a new one.

AC repair rates here are $90/hr plus drive time, unless you can get a handyman to fix it.

Prolly not worth fixing. Even good brand units are reasonably inexpensive. I used to store mine on end as you did, but would wait 24hrs before starting them. This lets the fluids settle back. Same thing with a refridgerator.....if you move it and lay it on its back,never start it right away. Stand it up for the same time that you had it laying down before restarting.