Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striperboy10

mysterious billingsgate blitz

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Not knowing any information at all on the exact circumstances I would be willing to bet that the fish were on really small bait. What were you throwing? I will often go to a 6" skinny Hogy or some sort of really small metal in those conditions. Could have just also been a ton of bait in the water and your offerings could have been hard to find by the fish.

I've found myself in situations like that before, and if what seaflat said don't work (not saying it won't), I'll throw a white danny into the mix....

If you don't have a fly rod 3" sluggos on tiny 1/8oz heads is the only thing they will hit. They don't cast well but that is the only that they will eat when they are feeding on that micro bait. Had them in the same general area with similar water depth so thick that I could have jumped off the boat and walked on them. These were big fish so I ended up losing a bunch due to bent hooks but it beat the frustration of watching them completely ignore the larger offerings.

View PostIf you don't have a fly rod 3" sluggos on tiny 1/8oz heads is the only thing they will hit. They don't cast well but that is the only that they will eat when they are feeding on that micro bait. Had them in the same general area with similar water depth so thick that I could have jumped off the boat and walked on them. These were big fish so I ended up losing a bunch due to bent hooks but it beat the frustration of watching them completely ignore the larger offerings.

thanks for the tip...the smallest sluggo i had on board was 6''

Try a casting egg or popper and dropper with 3" Slug-go's or even a fly. You can upgrade the hook to something beefier that will land large SB rather then lose fish with inferior 1/8oz jig heads hooks.

Had the same thing happen off of Wood End. All the boats were at the Race, and we were casting/trolling right through a school, used everything in the box, no dice. Demoralizing....