Advise on traveling with multiple surf rods with limited space!!!

Rate this topic

Here is my newest cargo solution, Rola roof rack with rod holders I bought at Cabela's. The rod holders were meant to mount to any factory cross bars. Unfortunately Cabela's discontinued them but if look closely you can see why, 40 dollars for something that can be made easily at home.

Here is a link to how I had them mounted before I put the rack on....

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=731363

Ski racks work good. Been using mine the last 3 years. My freshwater setups stay in them pretty much all the time when I'm at home. I had screwed them right down to the cap on my truck but on Friday I installed a roof rack so I can put my kayak up there as well.

I have some horizontal rod racks by Berkley. I attached the back butt holders into the hard plastic with wood screws about 3/4" long. The front holders are twist lock and are attached through the lining using 1/8" toggle bolts. I did take out most twist locks and added double sided velcro around the whole thing because with the bigger diameter of a surf rod they were starting to rub on the clearcoat.

I hear clickers in my head, they talk to me.

View PostThere is also a way to get buy on the cheap if your car already has a roof luggage rack with crossbars.

Go to the hardware store and buy a section of tubular foam water pipe insulation. Size will depend upon the size of your crossbars. 1" fit my Tahoe. They come slit lengthwise, just open them up and slide them on the crossbars.

While you are at the hardware store buy a handful of tarp bungees. The kind that are looped with a ball on the end. Sort of like a girl's pony-tail holder. Two for each rod.

Fasten the rods to the foam insulation padded crossbars with the tarp bungees. A bit more work but very cheap and very servicable.

Great idea, this looks to be the way I'm leaning except i think I'm going to try using another padd over the top of each cross bar with a big bungie or a ratchet strap. That way I only have to deal with one conection and it will be vary similer to the ski rack by clamping the rods down. If it works Ill post some pics.

Just use a 3/4" piece of pvc pipe with the insulation on it for your "top bar". Fasten each end with a tarp bungee. The trick will be having enough give and take in your padding to accomadate the different diameters of the rods.

'Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.' Mark Twain

I stripped the bolts on my roof rack last night trying to change vehicles with it, so I am going to go back to the old stand by. Zipties to the side rails. I use strips of towels to wrap up the rods to separate them, keeping them from rubbing together on the drive to the beach, then zip tie the bundle of rods together. like rods together 9 foot heaver tips together with metal/plugging rods and shorter tip sections on the other side. Bundle then gets zip tied to the roof rail. This keeps them from rubbing together to badly and potentially damaging blanks.

Not pretty, but it keep the rods safe on the drive down until I get a new roof rack.