Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nyatt Ken

Tackle Shop Problems 2

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

From my experience the 40% to 50% of you who do support local tackle shops are greatly appreciated It's the rest who make you stay open and make a decent living. I never thought I'd get rich in the tackle business and I was correct. The 7 day, 14 hrs. for and lack of fishing was what made me close up. One other thing not thought of is theft (cust./internal) if you don't watch it your dead. When I got lazy I lost $1000. that hurts. The guy who hit me seemed like a good guy I thought I knew.

View PostThe guy who hit me seemed like a good guy I thought I knew.

That's usually the case. I hired a new neighbor to do some work because he was out of a job and he stuck me for 3 grand, it went right into his veins. His wife recommended him highly but neglected to tell me he "used to" have a drug problem.

Live and learn.

It's not just the tackel shop business, it's any small business where that occurs.

My wife and I owned a deli/bakery and and ice cream store for 20 years before selling it. The shrinkage could be staggering unless we were there constantly to make sure it didn't occur. Even then, it would happen right under our noses at times, by trusted employess, who knew our system well enough and were able to circumvent it.

The killer part of any small business like this is, to make $$$, the owner(s) is forced to be there 24/7 toprevent such things, and working such hours, year in, year out really catches up with.