Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crabbypatty

Spinning boat rod

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I see more and more guys using a spinning set up on the boat casting eels in to the rocks, casting plugs at breaking fish, etc. My surf rod (tica graphite 10' 6") is too long and too fragile to bring on the boat. I have a 704z i would like to set up just for this purpose. What rod would you recomend, on an ugly stick budget, for this?????

View PostThats a big reel for a 7' stick.

headscratch.gif Kinda why I am askin. Maybe I should look for a 710z, prolly a better match.

My tica surf rod is rated for 2 to 8 oz......no way I would comfortably throw 8 oz with it though. I have 2 7' ugly sticks, one is a MH the other is a Med. They are fine for schoolies, but what happens if I hook into a real fish?

I have two 7 footers for boats:

All Star Coastal Classic: a broomstick but light

Yellow Sabre Classic from Big 5: has a softer tip suitable for your flipping needs

both can dead lift 30 lb dumbbells

you'd be surprised what those ugly stiks are capable of. the 5-stars are nice. I'd look at the ugly stik tiger or tiger lite line of rods. good rod for the price.

I use a 704 Greenie on a Lami Tri-Flex BL 7025, 7', rated 1 to 4 oz., reel feels good to me on that rod, really balances well, mostly on party boats and pier.