Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Shad on the flyrod

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I fished the Potomac for them the first time this year. Loads of fun, but our run in the Potomac started to peter out at the end of April with some catches in May.

I have fished them in the Hudson for many years. The Hudson is now catch and release, but I hadn't kept one in years and the last one I ate left a lasting impression. I caught some a few days ago in the area north of Catskill but things are winding down fast. There are lots of ways to do it, but I fish from a boat over 8-12 ft deep flats near the channel drop off. I use a sink tip line and a two fly rig, usually one small steamer and an estaz fly.

Fished them in the past on the Delaware when the runs were killer. This year was a good year for shad and they are up river near the Point into NY. The ones that live after spawning will head down river. There is a bite for them but not as good. You've missed the prime time which is late April to May, the fly rod needs a back cast so as the river drops more spots open up. My outfit is a 6 wgt Sage RPL, I made it way back when and it works well today along with a Type VI Cortland in an 8 wgt or a Type IV from 3M. As the water drops the lines become less grained to avoid hanging up on the bottom and passing the fish. Flys are totally simple....good luck

I fish mid March to May here in Richmond, VA on the James. We had an excellent run this year. Most days were 100+ fish on fly with several days well over. Caught some really nice whites as well but not as many as 3-5 years ago. This year and last saw reduced numbers.

There truly is nothing like it. Fun for all. Great way to introduce kids to fishing as well. The big stripers are also in the river then gorging themselves on shad as they run up the river to spawn.

Oh yea.... drool.gif On the fly.

Can't wait till next season. This year was good, good, good. Hickories in the creek, Whites in the river. 7' 4 wt. in the creek, 9' 6 wt. in the river. Fun, fun, fun. And down here it's all C&R. I had to go to Philly to get some shad with a side of roe. Oh Mama.

I would love to go to other places and fish for the shads. Like that New York area Dance Man's talking 'bout. Or even farther up the coast. And maybe the left coast too. I hear they have a respectable shad fishery out there. Maybe when I retire.

Hmmm, something to look into for next year. And now I'll see if the local fish peddler can order me some. Reading "The Founding Fish" makes me hungry.

I went a couple times last year with good success, only once this year though and it was quiet. I think it was just the time of day though. Small pink/white clousers seem to work well enough (based on info from SOL) that I haven't bothered trying anything else so far. Lots of fun on a light rod.

I'm hearing ya' South Shore.

My Hickories love the Clouser style, Hot red head, white body, and I tie in a couple of strands of some hot yellow floss for a short tail. Barely extends past the hook bend. On a #8, maybe a #10.

For the White Shad I just up the size.

Delaware run is definitely not over. Got into them yesterday. Fishing for smallies hit a nice school by accident. Some big bass playing with the shad on the surface too. Not far above Trenton.icon14.gif

Like Dalton I fish the Potomac near Fletcher's Boat House. His photo looks like there are some Fletcher's rental boats in the background. April seems to be the best time there. This year I fished shad four times. First two in early April, river was too high, muddy, just caught one or two. The other two times were 40 and 30 fish days. Most on my six weight using Tommy's Torpedoes. Full sinking line. Also used an 8wt. with a full sinker but the 6 wt was just right for this class of fish. Last day I fished was April 20th, had to go on a trip. Highly recommend you research the spring run up your way because I would imagine its later than April. I have seen video of shad fishing in Quebec City on WFN.

I recommend you give it a try. Great fun.smile.gif

this year was very good! many double digit days...fished the Delaware from I-80 bridge to Flatbrookville... pretty much over in that neck of the woods... plenty of fish upriver between Lordville and Hancock...this current heat wave and lack of rain definitely slowed things down...