Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ron82nd

Chummin ideas

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I picked up some manhaden oil today and thought of putting it in a 20oz water bottle with cat food and attaching a snap swivel to it. I was wondering if you guys though wether or not it would be a good idea to attach it to my main line after i cast and let it slide down to the spider wieght on the ocean floor. I know it will need to be weighted any other ideas? I will be fishing from shore only and targeting sharks.

Only problem I see is that they may be more interested in your chum than your bait.

If your fishing bait you have to keep your bait fresh. Once it gets washed out of guts/blood/slime its as good as useless. So you may be better off replacing your bait more often.

A lot of sharkers agree that you really shouldn't chum from the beach, because in the end the notion that you are drawing in a predator to feed near swimmers is a very powerful argument against sharking. Might be something worthy to consider...

Well what about soaking my fillets and baits in the oil then casting do you believe this could help? I even thought of soaking a sponge in the oil and throwing that on the hook with the bait what do you think?

I've soaked baits in pogy oil before with some success. My best biter hookup so far came from a bait that was dunked in menhaden oil. We had hung a gallon of oil over the end of the pier all day with a small hole in the bottom to allow a slow drip. By sundown there was a perfect slick headed straight out to the horizon. I dunked the carcass of a 6# Spanish caught on the pin rigs into a cooler of blood, slush and menhaden oil then just tossed it over the rail, out about 30'. The hit came within 20mins and almost dumped my 114H without even slowing down. Tail rubs on the line and behavior during the run pointed to a ~9ft tiger.

Evan

I had similar idea too.

to have 2 rigs, one is regular bait ring, second one is with sponge and weight to be cast as far as possible...

couldn't find a chance to try it yet, but one day I will do that for sure --if God permits...

DBS

View PostWell what about soaking my fillets and baits in the oil then casting do you believe this could help? I even thought of soaking a sponge in the oil and throwing that on the hook with the bait what do you think?

There have been quite a few guys who use a old film canister filled with cotton and soaked in menhaden oil with success.You just punch a tiny hole through the canister and insert your line through it, then tie a swivel under the canister and attach your leader underneath.You can also just make a rig which you permanently attach the canister too.But to tell you the truth i dont think its needed,during the night i will put a chunk of mullet or similar offering and throw it out in the channel and just wait, it doesnt take long for them to hone in on it.Sharks are very active at night and will find a chunk of fresh fish quickly.I was spooled twice that evening and i wasnt fishing for sharks.