Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joeperryps3

Penn senator Vs Penn squidder

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

That depends on what you're going to use it for and just how big a Senator you're talking about.

It doesn't matter what size Squidder you get, the drag surface area is all the same. On the Senators there is at least 3 times the drag surface area of a Squidder on even the smallest models currently being produced. The next and most obvious difference is shear size. The Squidder is a relatively small reel while the Senators can be from medium size to anchor winch size!

It would be much easier to make a recomendation if we knew what your intended use was.

FISH HARD!

Chris

View PostWell - squidder is meant to be cast while the senator is meant for heavy duty bottom, trolling or something other than casting

I beg to differ with that.

We on the west coast have been using 4/0's and narrowed 4/0's to throw iron for decades! In Hawaii they have been using wide 4/0's and sometimes even 6/0's to fish ulua off the rocks for decades as well.

FISH HARD!

Chris

View PostI beg to differ with that.

We on the west coast have been using 4/0's and narrowed 4/0's to throw iron for decades! In Hawaii they have been using wide 4/0's and sometimes even 6/0's to fish ulua off the rocks for decades as well.

FISH HARD!

Chris

Well your wrong, squidders can be used to cast from the surf something you CANNOT do with a senator. If you call lobbing it 25' casting well then beg to differ.cwm15.gifwink.gif

View PostWell your wrong, squidders can be used to cast from the surf something you CANNOT do with a senator. If you call lobbing it 25' casting well then beg to differ.cwm15.gifwink.gif

I have seen 4/0s thrown more than 100yds. And I've heard of those crazy Hawaiian ulua fishermen throwing modified extra-wide 6/0s a long freaking way. All it takes is a big hand and a firm grip...wink.gif

2nv8279.jpg

Ocean Master 12' 6-12, Penn 113HLW (magged) with an 8oz sinker. The caster hit just shy of 100yds with this cast.

Evan

View PostWell your wrong, squidders can be used to cast from the surf something you CANNOT do with a senator. If you call lobbing it 25' casting well then beg to differ.cwm15.gifwink.gif

the beach i fish 25 feet out is like 50 foot of water if you go any father u just drop in to a big hole.

View PostI have seen 4/0s thrown more than 100yds. And I've heard of those crazy Hawaiian ulua fishermen throwing modified extra-wide 6/0s a long freaking way. All it takes is a big hand and a firm grip...wink.gif

Ocean Master 12' 6-12, Penn 113HLW (magged) with an 8oz sinker. The caster hit just shy of 100yds with this cast.

Evan

I'm sure you could get a Penn International 50W to cast 100yds too if you modded it enough...

If someone doesn't know what type of reel to use for what, and cares enough about it to ask, I'm pretty sure that person won't be modifying a special senator to cast for Ulua in Hawaii...

Exceptions aside, senators are for trolling/bottom fishing, and squidders do fine with bottom fishing and surf casting highfive.gif

View PostSquidder=surf reel, senator=boat reel. Squidder is by far the best ol school reel out there now. My 1st reel. heart.gif

Each is a Penn classic.

Someday I may get me one of them Senators.