Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassBE

Tuf-line braid opinions

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a bulk spool of braid, been using fireline for a while but can't seem to find any cheap.

Been looking at some other brands and this tuf-line caught my eye, anyone here have experience with it? What's the main difference with fireline?

Mainly looking for something for long distance casting around 20lbs.

Stay away from XP hi vis white, unless you like fishing with a candle wick. It is covered in wax. The green and yellow are both fine.

Other than that, I've used Tuf Line almost exclusively in the Northwest, fishing for salmon and sturgeon and have no complaints. Western Filament impressed the heck out of me with their customer service, too.

I'm certainly no expert on braided line, but in my opinion, it is not a bad choice.

There's a few different types of Tuf-Line.

tuf-lines_xp.jpgTUF-Line XP

Aerospace technology has been utilized to produce our TUF-Line XP fishing line. Tension Lock Technology TUF-Line XP is braided under high tension, creating more compaction of the fibers during the finishing process and a rounder profile than competitive lines. TUF-Line XP is more compact, smaller in diameter, packs better on reels, offers better knot performance, casts longer, reduces rod tip wraps, and boasts higher abrasion resistance. TUF-Line XPs state-of-the-art coating remains permanently bonded to the fibers, offering an incredibly long service life with zero shedding.

tuf-lines_guides-choice.jpgTUF-Line Guide's Choice

TUF Line® Guide's Choice is a hollow, spliceable micro-filament line. The hollow core design allows monofilament to be spliced into the braid for the strongest possible main line to leader connection. Guide's Choice is a must for "top shotting" monofilament into the braid. Simply insert the end of the monofilament approximately two feet into the braid and use floss to whip the area where the mono enters the braid. Use for making wind on leaders or as a backing for top shotting with monofilament. Use up to 30 lb mono with 40 lb braid, up to 50lb mono with 60 lb braid, up to 100 lb mono with 80 lb braid and up to equivalent lb test mono with 130-, 150-, 200-, 300- and 500lb test braid.

tuf-lines_plus.jpgTUF-Line Plus

Our 100% pure Spectra® Fiber fishing line, TUF-Line® Plus is available in white or grass green. This superline has only 3% stretch, giving you more powerful hooksets and more sensitivity than you could ever imagine. TUF-Line® Plus is also hydrophobic and has excellent UV resistance which enables it to last up to four times longer than monofilament. TUF-Line® Plus is also 50% smaller in diameter than equivalent test monofilaments.

tuf-lines_classic.jpgTUF-Line Classic

Our original "salt and pepper" line, TUF-Line® is manufactured with Spectra® fibers and has an amazing 4% stretch which translates into super sensitivity and more powerful hooksets when compared to monofilament. TUF-Line® is also hydrophobic, meaning it repels water and won't swell in diameter. TUF-Line® is over 40% smaller than equivalent test monofilaments, which substantially reduces line drag.

tuf-lines_indicator.jpgTUF-Line XP Indicator

Trolling, back-trolling, jigging suspended fish...consider any application where a fast reference to a precise length of line adds precision to your presentation and Tuf-Line XP indicator is your choice.

Changing colors every 10 feet, simply count the color changes to your desired length or depth. Repeating color pattern from yellow to green to red offers tremendous advantages. Yellow provides a high visibility length for tracking trolling spreads. Green offers a low visibility tie off point for shallow water applications. Disappearing red is the tie off point for low visibility in open water fisheries. When running multiple rods, you never have to remove more than 30-feet of line to identically match multiple rods, limiting wasted line and maximizing your investment in Tuf-Line XP Indicator's premium performance.

Dura Cast Products:

dura-cast.jpgDura Cast

TUF-Line Dura Cast is the braid solution for spinning reels. Its revolutionary patent-pending construction process eliminates tip wraps, wind knots, rod guide noise and common bail trip issues associated with standard superlines, yet delivers the strength and sensitivity advantages anglers have come to rely on. So outstanding is Dura Cast's performance that the line won the Best New Braided Line award at the prestigious European Fishing Tackle Trade Association show in June of 2009. Dura Cast's award is only the second time in history a U.S. manufacturer has been the recipient of the honor.

TUF-Line® DuraCast's Tri-Axial, bi-component construction ensures long wearing durability, permanent coloration, and unparalleled abrasion resistance. While Dura Cast offers a quantum leap forward with regard to braid performance on spinning reels, it also performs flawlessly on casting reels, offering a complete braided line solution for bass, walleye, panfish, trout, steelhead and inshore saltwater anglers.

I've used Tuf-Line XP in 20,30 and 50lb tests and haven't had any problems. Seems to have a waxy coating that wears away leaving just the line after a handful of uses. I used it because it's a lot cheaper than the others and after using it I saw no reason to use anything else.

I've used Tuf Line XP from 10 to 50# test. Pretty good stuff, more akin to Power pro but never any QC issues that I've heard of. That said, still way prefer regular old Fireline overall.

If you are going to sub another braid for Fireline, you will need to go above the pound test you usally use with Fireline, ie if using 20# Fireline, you'd need to go with 30 or even 40# Tuf Line XP to have it be comparable in actual breaking strength. MHO

View PostGoing to have to look into that duracast.

I was in the store and got a chance to feel the duracast line, and I'm not impressed with it. All it is, is braid coated with some kind of plastic and it IS BULKY.icon13.gif

View PostI was in the store and got a chance to feel the duracast line, and I'm not impressed with it. All it is, is braid coated with some kind of plastic and it IS BULKY.icon13.gif

I did a quick search on some duracast reviews, and the vast majority said it was junk and big diameter for braid. Seems like a hybrid braid/mono that just doesn't deliver. Oh well, I'm pretty happy with their other products. Thanks for the input.

Western Filament (the makers of Tuf-Line) is the only producer of raw Spectra filaments. They also weave the stuff themselves. Their branded product is Tuf-Line but they also produce many of the "other" brands out there. It's very likely many of you have fished Western Filament lines without knowing it! - HPD

I've been using Tuf-line XP for a few years with no problems. Have caught plenty from fluke to tuna. I haven't used any of their other lines though.

I have used tuffline xp 30 from the beach for 5 years,and never have had any problems.Much slicker than suffix,and almost 1/2 the price.32$ for a 600yd spoolicon14.gificon14.gif