Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spoot129

Herring

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I had great luck cooking herring low and slow. Made me think twice about using them as bait. We are lucky in NH where we are still allowed to catch them

cook at 200-250 for 3-4 hrs season w/ salt pepper in a lightly oiled pan

by using this method the bones all but disintegrate. Smoking them at the same temp and duration also works great

Who else has alewife/herring/shad recipes

What kind of herring you talking about? Sea herring are related to sardines and can be great eating. River herring (bluebacks, alewifes) should, by all accounts, taste like bunker - you aren't eating them, are you?

EB - Years ago when the herring runs weren't in the shape they are now, a few towns on the south shore of Mass (Weymouth comes to mind) used to have an annual "Herring Fry" at thier runs.

Only time I ever really eat it is when I see smoked/salted herring....sometimes Shaws or Stop and Shop will have it. Also, the Vermont Country Store in Weston has it where it is smoked and salted, and then they pack it in a barrel of oil. Both types are super salty, but are great on a bagel with cream cheese.....drool.gif. Not sure if those are river or sea herring that are used.

Many years ago I pressure canned whole blueback herring (minus head, gutz, and scales) in quart jars with spiced up tomatoe sauce. Packed them in the jars as tight as posible. I pressure cooked them for about 1hr-15min. Like eating store bought canned sardines, no bones. They were a little softer than I like but definitely not mushy. I also tried canning chunks of hickory shad the same way but I didn't quite cook them long enough because the bigger bones were still there. Even some of the little Y-bones had to be removed before eating... good though.