Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leatherface

Does everyone that fishes the rocks.....

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Does everyone that fishes the rocks or a jetty carry a gaff?

For the most part, I have not fished much at night. So anytime I fish from the rocks, it has been rather safe and dry for me with good visibility. Having said that, I am also sometimes 10' above the water line.

If you know you have something you are going to keep, do you gaff it?

What other methods are there without climbing down to the water?

Thanks!

i wear korkers but i dont climb down to the water b/c im usually on a rock close enough to the water so i can grab my leader... hense why you should use longer leaders when fishing rocks... at night its not very safe to be jumping around the rocks when your hooked into a fish b.c you not going to pay attention to where u step half the time... get a good position where you can handle the fish and not get swept by a wave

View PostI never use a gaff and do believe it is illegal to use in MA, if not other states, when landing stripers. That being said I practice C&R 99% of the time.

Me too, I dont fish jetties like guys further south but whenever I pick a spot on the rocks I look not only for a nice standing platform but also a pocket or somewhere I can steer the fish into calm water to unhook and release. I cant tell you how many dudes I see pick a nice flat dry rock up here but cant get to their fish to unhook it without getting their jeans wet kooky.gif

View PostMe too, I dont fish jetties like guys further south but whenever I pick a spot on the rocks I look not only for a nice standing platform but also a pocket or somewhere I can steer the fish into calm water to unhook and release. I cant tell you how many dudes I see pick a nice flat dry rock up here but cant get to their fish to unhook it without getting their jeans wet kooky.gif

To each their own. You're absolutely right that "A place to land your fish is as important as to the platform you are standing on."

View Postget a good position where you can handle the fish and not get swept by a wave

^ +1

I want to be as close to the water as I can safely be - 10 feet above it and my plugs are going to have different action, I'm going to be getting hung up on the rock in front of me every time I bring my plug in, and I'm going to have to pick my way down to the water to land and release all the fish I'm not going to keep anyway, and that's a dangerous, difficult thing to do when you're trying to fight a fish. Even if you have a gaff, you've got to go down there for any shorts or blues anyway, so why not be down there to begin with? I don't understand...

Having a spot to land a fish is completely scoped out BEFORE I make my first cast. That being said, I have any number of landing places that I have earmarked over the years. I will skip fishing a certain area if I can't access my landing rock due to waves and or people.

I bring it but only use it as a last resort. I'm not about to get killed for a fish.

Even then the goal is to catch the hooks of the plug and lift it or, if it's not that well hooked or too big, get the point of the gaff through the thin skin below the lower jaw and bring it up that way.

Some times I use a net that is three feet and extends to six. Listen to these guys and scope out a spot that you can pull the fish up mark it with a bag or whatever. when you get a fish on slowly work him to the spot to bring him up. Since the tide is moving you need to check your spot every half hour or so. Take the time to get to know your rock piles.

If your fishing from 10' up, try bumping your gear up heacy enough to lift shorts with your rod. If thats not possible go a bit heavier, and longer on your leader. If you land the fish on a flat rock or hole you can lift it with your hands on the leader.

The heavy rod will also help when you need to land larger fish. If you don't have control of the striper's head, it'll be game over once it gets near the rockswink.gif

View PostHaving a spot to land a fish is completely scoped out BEFORE I make my first cast. That being said, I have any number of landing places that I have earmarked over the years. I will skip fishing a certain area if I can't access my landing rock due to waves and or people.

well said, find and scope out the area before hand.

Find a rock and go down slow, watch the surf don't concentrate on the fish.

I sometimes bring a gaff on the rocks, one of those extentable painters poles that extends to about 12 feet. Never used it on a fish, but it saved some hung up plugs for me.

JW

View PostI bring it but only use it as a last resort. I'm not about to get killed for a fish.

Even then the goal is to catch the hooks of the plug and lift it or, if it's not that well hooked or too big, get the point of the gaff through the thin skin below the lower jaw and bring it up that way.

xactly. you can gaff a fish w/o killing it!