Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mkoloch

Disposing of fish carcass

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

After this weekend, Dad and I finally put a few keepers in the box. We've fished all Spring with limited success, especially with anything of size. Now we turn onto a new problem. For those who fish and live/stay in the Delaware area (Oak Orchard), what do you do with fish carcasses after cleaning?

Don't want to leave them in the trash until pick up day, neighbors probably won't like that. We do not do much crabbing yet, so that is kind of out. We do not have a boat, so dumping them offshore is not an option.

Is it legal to dump them in creeks or channel flows? IRI, Massey's Landing?

personally I dig a three foot deep hole in my garden and place the carcasses in there and back fill (I am fenced in).

Fish meal is something veggies dream of !

View Postpersonally I dig a three foot deep hole in my garden and place the carcasses in there and back fill (I am fenced in).

Fish meal is something veggies dream of !

We don't have a garden, but we buried them in the wooded area. I was just curious what others did.

At a place on the salmon river I asked one time where their carcasses get disposed. I was told that due to contamination(heavy metals, etc.) they must be taken to a specific location for "proper" disposal.

That was enough to make me stop planting em in the garden.

I use like 8 plastic shopping bags. put the fish in one, tie it shut, turn it upside down as you put it in the next. repeat several times.

works well for a couple days, just don't forget to take the can to the curb on time!

The freezer method is best, but only if:

1. you have enough freezer space (or keep shorts)

2. remember garbage day!