Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Bigdeal

What's Wrong With This Picture.......

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

After watching the Pics on the news of the continuing Oil Spill in the south I am bothered .......the livecam "BP Pics" of the oils spewing out seem out of place.

Remember these are supposed to be taken almost a mile down in the ocean....5,000 Ft. and don't forget they tried to lower a 100 ton steel dome to cap it off.

The dome was crush by the water pressure yet we see various types of small equipment in the pics manuevering around the breeched area and a pipe which looks like my garden hose spewing something......oil maybe?

Are we being fooled again......the Pics just seem to be questionable ?

What say you...........................?

I Smell a SKUNK in the works.

I was watching this morning and it looked like a giant sponge was attacking the ROV. cwm31.gif

The ROV's are designed to withstand the pressure of the deep. They have been down to the bottom of the Marianis Trench, 5-7 miles below sea level. A mile down is nothing. Guess they didn't make the cap strong enough. Maybe they should have made it out of the same material they make the rov's/ cwm40.gif

View PostAfter watching the Pics on the news of the continuing Oil Spill in the south I am bothered .......the livecam "BP Pics" of the oils spewing out seem out of place.

Remember these are supposed to be taken almost a mile down in the ocean....5,000 Ft. and don't forget they tried to lower a 100 ton steel dome to cap it off.

The dome was crush by the water pressure yet we see various types of small equipment in the pics manuevering around the breeched area and a pipe which looks like my garden hose spewing something......oil maybe?

Are we being fooled again......the Pics just seem to be questionable ?

What say you...........................?

I Smell a SKUNK in the works.

You have several things misstated.

A styrofoam cup will crush since there are air pockets between the foam cells.

Steel has no air pockets.

If a can, sealed with air inside, was at depth, it would crush.

An open can will not crush, there is nothing to crush.

The big dome did not crush, it was open at the bottom. Otherwise how could it have been lowered over the pipes.

The big dome filled with methane gas that formed methane ice and stopped the connection for oil flow from working.

Think about how an air conditioner works; expanding gas releases heat (it cools) the methane got so cold it formed ice, a lot of it.

If your thoughts were correct, the wire from the crane would crush, that just ain't so.

The only thing that puzzles me is the 10,000PSI they say the oil preasure is.

I would think 10K PSI would be more like a preasure washer nozzle effect from broken pipe. It would not come out in plumes, but a powerful stream.

Air in your lungs, wood, foam, etc is what gets squeezed by ocean pressures. A submarine for humans gets crushed because its full of air. An ROV doesn't have that problem at all.

View PostThe only thing that puzzles me is the 10,000PSI they say the oil preasure is.

I would think 10K PSI would be more like a pressure washer nozzle effect from broken pipe. It would not come out in plumes, but a powerful stream.

You have to consider its viscosity - imagine if you poked a hole in a plastic bottle of honey, no matter how hard you squeeze the bottle the honey isn't going to shoot out.

Its also shooting out, and against water that's under a ton of pressure itself - at a mile down the water pressure is around 2,300 psi.

The hose next to the leak is pumping out a solution that help the oil coagulate and break down, its call correctix or something like that.

View PostYou have to consider its viscosity - imagine if you poked a hole in a plastic bottle of honey, no matter how hard you squeeze the bottle the honey isn't going to shoot out.

Its also shooting out, and against water that's under a ton of pressure itself - at a mile down the water pressure is around 2,300 psi.

The hose next to the leak is pumping out a solution that help the oil coagulate and break down, its call correctix or something like that.

If you push anything hard enough, it will squirt. 10K PSI in a 21" dia pipe, is a bunch of stuff.

10K PSI oil against 2,300 PSI = 7700 PSI oil

Methane- the higher the preasure, the smaller the opening the colder it gets.

Oil- the higher the preasure, the smaller the opening the hotter it gets.

Expanding gas can overcome friction induced heating and produce cold, oil can't.