Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Salt and Fresh

Keepers in a worm Hatch?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone has had luck with catching keeper Stripers in a worm hatch? I know go and find out for yourself, and I will soon. Just wanted to know how much luck has been had?

I am guessing yes.

Watching fish breaking all over them via camera right now. and its killing me not to be there.

Fishing a hatch can at times frustrate the hell out of you. When bass are feeding on worms they seem to really focus on them and only them. Im sure the fly guys would have better luck matching the hatch but Ive had decent luck with a small slug-go and at times have had luck by aggressively ripping a popper over the top of them, it seems to piss them off.

I'll usually fly fish during a worm hatch, but I do know that sometimes you'll catch fish using a much bigger lure/fly. It imitates something that's also feeding on the worms. A few guys I know swear by a chicken scratch Bomber. I had one worm hatch where the bass refused the worm flies, so I started going through other patterns. It turned out that one night, the fish wanted big black Deceivers (6+").

well it did not work last week for me beatin.gif

DBS

View PostI just fished a worm hatch last week. I threw everything at them and the only thing they would hit was a small bucktail with a Mr twister for a tail

There are usually all kinds of fish feeding during a worm hatch. Big stripers like to eat some of the fish feeding on the worms ie: shad, small blues, small stripers, fluke. If you're looking for size rather than quantity, throw something big. The big fish are there, but they usually aren't there for the worms.

at some of my spots, from high grounds I'm able to visualize things, sometimes I witness every single one of them -small, mid, large- concentrated only on worm hatch --especially around full moon

I'm relatively new to this game, and I suck in matching the hatch using flies beatin.gif

DBS

View PostThere are usually all kinds of fish feeding during a worm hatch. Big stripers like to eat some of the fish feeding on the worms ie: shad, small blues, small stripers, fluke. If you're looking for size rather than quantity, throw something big. The big fish are there, but they usually aren't there for the worms.

View PostFishing a hatch can at times frustrate the hell out of you. When bass are feeding on worms they seem to really focus on them and only them. Im sure the fly guys would have better luck matching the hatch but Ive had decent luck with a small slug-go and at times have had luck by aggressively ripping a popper over the top of them, it seems to piss them off.

this is very smart post. You can pick up fish but you will work to find out what they want.

Just wondering if anyone has had luck with catching keeper Stripers in a worm hatch?

To answer your question: yes I have caught a number of keepers, up to about 30" on small worm type flys. Biggest fish I've seen come out of a worm hatch, on a worm pattern, was a 41"er. That fish was caught by the 17 year old daughter of a friend ( a guide) on a 7 wt fly rod. A great catch.

As some of the other posters have noted the success ratio is usually very low. I seem to have had my most success at the tail end of the hatch when the number of worms in the water starts to decrease.

Dan

Hi, I just fished today during the same frustrating conditions...

I managed to get 13 Striped bass (1 keeper) by basically doing what "Lazzyone" said and some other tricks I use from Largemouth Bassin'.

First I used a large 6" Homemade Torpedo with a 2" prop blade that I crossed over designed from a freshwater lure. I doubt most Stripers have ever heard a saltwater Prop churning the water up like that. I have to really annoy them but mostly it's only big ones that hit this lure.

2nd, when calm enough, I use a smaller Spook Type dog walker...( again my favorite from Freshwater the "Zara Puppy" ala 3 incher. I know it's normally not a strong enough lure. But I upgrade it by super glueing the screw eyes and adding stronger split rings and VMC hooks. I always feather dress the back treble as well.

------ Anyway, for this lure I had to walk and Ripp the lure and if you do it just right you can get them to react. I like Nickel Chrome Flash in bright sunshine.

3rd lure of choice was a Strike King Zulu 3x jerkbait, unwieghted on a 5/0 offset hook. It floats, so all you have to do is work it erractically near the surface. I caught most off this presentation. But too much wind or waves made the lure uneffective for me at times.

Of course I use flourocarbon for a leader and stealth.

I hope this helps.

But I'm also gonna try that Carolina Riggin' suggestion....I like that, I hope it works.

It's frustrating when Stripers are all around your boat and you cant do very much to entice them. It's allot of work.

"O"

View PostJust wondering if anyone has had luck with catching keeper Stripers in a worm hatch? I know go and find out for yourself, and I will soon. Just wanted to know how much luck has been had?

I am guessing yes.

Watching fish breaking all over them via camera right now. and its killing me not to be there.