Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pierfisherman

small bait caster

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I'd like to get a small baitcaster for bait fishing for stripers and catfish out of a kayak or on a pier. I was a 6500 size, but something more durable then a 6500, and I'd like to keep it under $140. I was thinking a Tica Caiman,Shimano Cardiff, or a pflueger trion 66 what are your recommendations?

PS: I want a heavy reel with a clicker for eels/chunks and big catfish, not a small low-profile reel. Even the Curado will not do, it has no click.

View PostI'd like to get a small baitcaster for bait fishing for stripers and catfish out of a kayak or on a pier. I was a 6500 size, but something more durable then a 6500, and I'd like to keep it under $140. I was thinking a Tica Caiman,Shimano Cardiff, or a pflueger trion 66 what are your recommendations?

Chronarch by Shimano or Curado 300. Both unreal and durable. I owned and fished both.

Shimano Cardiff's are great reels for the money and you can get some really good deals from the auction site. I have 2 of the left handed models in 201 and 301 and they are holding up very well in the salt.

I've been playing around with the Okuma Akena 400 for the last couple weeks and I like it a lot. I'll be doing a full teardown and review of it soon, hopefully this week.

14#/270, 5.1:1, $99 MSRP

Evan

View PostA Penn 9 is a durable little reel, and castable.smile.gif

I fish with a Penn Mag 10 which is an upgraded version.

It has ball bearings, a higher gear ratio HT-100 drag washers and a magnet. Sorry LW, though!

I took the LW off, replaced it with a crossbar and installed one more magnet. I don't recall what I paid for it, but it was less than an ABU 6500 and works wonderfully. C2

Since I liked the Quantum Cabo spinning reels so much, I decided to give the Quantum Cabo baitcaster a try and have not been disappointed - although I have to admit that during the second year, the level wind mechanism broke. However, Quantum took care of that free of chargesmile.gif It's now 3 1/2 years old