Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ron82nd

Braid to Braid?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have 300 yards of 65lb pp as my main line now with 40 yards 20lb mono backing and I still have quite a bit of room left on the reel. I am curious if I could attach more braid to the present one or would that give it a weak point? I really don't want to have to take off all the line just to buy 500 yards. I have heard people going with mono also and I could just need some help. By the way I am going for sharks so any recomendations would be great thanks.

View Post I am going for sharks so any recomendations would be great thanks.

i don't fish for sharks but I'm not sure I would go 65pp to begin with. Do you really even need/want braid?

Here's what I do. I put on the braid first, then fill to desired spool depth with the backing. Then I go out in the yard and take it all off and put it on in reverse.

I think you would be better off adding more backing instead of more braid. Mono to mono knots are pretty simple. Actually, for the cost of mono you could just take everything off the reel and use my method above to fill the reel to your ideal level.

If you have 300 yds on it already, than just un-spool and add more backing. Un-spooling with an electric drill and an old line spool makes the job go very quickly.smile.gif

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I just wonder if I should add mono after the braid since braid has no give I am new at saltwater and am honestly worried that I will have my drag set wrong and the line will break. I will probally just add more backing however thnaks for the feedback guys.

Here is how I would handle it. If you want to add more superbraid, go ahead and tie it on top of what you already have then over fill the spool just a little.

Pass the line around a piece of pipe and walk off while holding on to the end of the line. When you have dumped all of the line, remove the mono you have on the bottom then tie the other end of the line to your reel spool. This way, the knot will be on the bottom of the spool rather than on the top. You can do the same with 80# mono.

Having light line on the bottom guarantees loss of the rest of your line if a fish gets the top 300 yards of line.

If we had to respool braid everytime it got a nick we go broke...everybody

i know patches up braid and you will also

or end up losing fish...

In fact you should always check your braid (amount use) by running your finger and feeling for nicks..

Trust me you will find some from time to time....cut it out and do a uni to uni

knot and you are good to go...

A topshot of mono is a good idea because it alot easier and cheaper to cut out and repatch with mono then with braid.

Plus mono gives and you want this, when using braid...also topshot of mono

covers safely issue, when braid and big fish are involved..