Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jrosswackem

Cutting Bails?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

-spool balance

-permanence

-on some reels (Emblem) the bail wire keeps the bearing assembly from spinning and unscrewing itself from the rest of the reel - ask me how I know icon14.gif

I cut the wire off my 650ss and the balance is slightly off but its more than useful as my backup reel. I would rather have a slightly off balance reel than use a bail on that thing. Make sure you grind down the nubs left after cutting with a stone drill bit or risk line freying.

I did it to a Penn 750SS. Works fine. Penns aren't perfectly balanced anyway. I have found that I still need to push the roller back like you would if the bail was still there, because the line tends to get caught on the bail as it leaves the spool.

View PostI did it to a Penn 750SS. Works fine. Penns aren't perfectly balanced anyway. I have found that I still need to push the roller back like you would if the bail was still there, because the line tends to get caught on the bail as it leaves the spool.

I lost a BM Danny that way mad.gif

View PostI did it to a Penn 750SS. Works fine. Penns aren't perfectly balanced anyway. I have found that I still need to push the roller back like you would if the bail was still there, because the line tends to get caught on the bail as it leaves the spool.

DITTO... you can do this to nearly all the Penn's... snip slightly ahead of the roller and back out the flanged end of the bail... works great