Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trahsub

Hurricane season and current state of beaches

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

With the 2010 Hurricane season predicted to have a higher number of named storms, in the event a major storm curves its way up to our region, how screwed are we? I understand on shore winds help regenrate our beaches, yet 100 mph winds and storm surge would appear to decimate what's left of our current south shore.

The NOAA has predicted the last two seasons to be higher than average activity, yet they were pretty mild, so hopefully this year follows this trend.

Hurricanes for the most part build south shore beaches. The good instance of this is 1938 hurricane which built everything from the current RM water tower to the Democrat Point jetty. And subsequent storms have pilled up everything west of the jetty since 1950. Although the 1938 storm also dug out the Shinnecock Inlet. That was due more to the outer barrier being washed over than eroded away. I for one don't get to concerned with the state of the beaches. Mother Nature is going to do what she wants, and we can't prevent it. My issue is really with rebuilding. I've had many a good hole filled in by rebuilding projects along FI.

In the event that we get a good hurricane let's hope that the damage is only to our beaches and nothing worse. Who knows? Maybe we'll get another inlet in the GSB, just east of Sailors Haven would be ideal. Just imagine how much the fishing would open up, extended bass, false albies.. king macs biggrin.gif . As long as they don't fill it in again!

The steps off the deck at the Tobay Beach pavilion on the South Shore of Long Island are in the wash now on a moon tide. That whole pavilion could be in danger with a decent (cat 3 or 4) hurricane. The building is built up on pilings but they are only about 3' high. Between the building and the Roda wreck just off the beach you'd have some nice structure to fish if the right storm hit at high tide.

West side of Shinnecock Inlet is carved out pretty good, they added some sand to it but it still looks iffy to me. Further west the beach seems to have rebuilt itself, going into the winter some areas where really thin. The jettys in Westhampton were also down on sand, you couldn't drive over the western most one. I haven't driven down to look at them in several months, they could have recovered. The East side of Moriches Inlet is also carved out pretty good, when I think about all the trucks parked there in the fall I realize there is no way that is going happen the way the area is right now.