Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShakyMan

to snell or not to snell?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

yeah...snelling takes too long for me and i'm not good at it. I just use a trilene or improved clinch. Much easier and i can tie it in like 10 seconds

I will generally snell when my homemade rigs call for it, like when i need the hooks point to pull along the same plain as the direction of my pull.And up eye and down eye hooks i always snell or i will use a different hook entirely.Certain types of snell knots are recommended to be tied directly to a leader and some variations of the snell are reserved for tying directly to your main line.

I didn't used to snell. But once I tried it I didn't look back. Now I tie all my Fish Finder rigs with a Kwik-Tie Hook Sneller. I had a hard time tying any kind of knot with 100lb. or 125lb. mono when making FF rigs. But the little gadget make snelling easy.

a snelled hook provides a better hook-setting connection, no matter which type of hook. i have and always will snell my hooks for everything out there while fishing bait, in any which way. the only exception for that rule (for me at least) is offshore big game fishing, mainly tuna. for them i won't snell because even when jaw hooked, they will work any knot to death (especially good fish) and can and will ruin a snell. there's no striper in the world that can destroy a good snell, but a nice tuna can and WILL rub through the whole snell.