Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

50+ on LIF cover

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

There's a gent on the cover of the LIF this week hefting a nice big bass. The stated weight is fiftysomething (it's not at hand right now) and I believe it. The fish was caught in the Montauk surf, and that I believe. The fish was caught in low light, though still daylight, which is ... o.k., yes, I'll believe that. And on a 3-oz mackeral Kastmaster. Now, it's possible ... yes, that is possible. I am a bit wary of that part of the story, though. If that isn't the biggest modern bass on a tin in the surf since WW II, it's gotta be close. Has anyone heard anything else of this fish? What's the largest bass, other then this one, that we've heard of, IN THE SURF AND ON A TIN???

This is not a criticism of the angler because if I'd caught a 50+ I would be, well, sorta misleading in my description of when, where, and maybe how.

I have no ethical problem with a little misdirection, and if I whack an IGFA record I'll tell the cameraman that it was on a Black Gnat on a 4/0 hook. Now let's see if we can think this one over. Gentlemen?

It was caught by Peresh Dave, aka "Montauk Pete", who hosts a website of his own.

Everything about it seems legit, right down to the Kastmaster. I can vouch for the fact that tins at night can be effective--altho my biggest on tin is like 35 or so, and it came at twilight wink.gif

There's a gent on the cover of the LIF this week hefting a nice big bass. The stated weight is fiftysomething (it's not at hand right now) and I believe it. The fish was caught in the Montauk surf, and that I believe. The fish was caught in low light, though still daylight, which is ... o.k., yes, I'll believe that. And on a 3-oz mackeral Kastmaster. Now, it's possible ... yes, that is possible.

Let's see if he shows up in ads for Kastmaster!

If so, then I will be a little suspicious.

But it is possible; I saw a thirty something bass caught

on a kastmaster in Narragansett. If the water

is discolored or the surf is high, a kastmaster

can be effective.

Yea lets knock on this guy just for getting a 50+. Who the hell cares if he caught the fish on a tin or something else? It's not like that same lure is going to work on every 50. Geez. Lots of luck to him if he appears on a Kastmaster ad.

Brian I would vouch that every word reported was and is 100% true. Besides that, Pete is one of the most deserving and honest fisherman I have had the pleasure of beating the suds with.

Now another freindly bud of mine, a well known Mr Ralph Votta, the owner and maker of West End Tackle/Charlie Graves tins very often talks with me one on one about the old days as he knows how I collect old books and tackle in regards to striped bass fishing in the NE. Anyway, and I will have to ask him for confirmation on exact numbers, but he has caught many 40+lb bass on j-7 tins, and i am 97.5% that he has 1 50 also. I will call and ask him, he would also know of other monsters on tins. I will get somne names for you, he fished with the late Charlie Graves and he supposedelt did lots of bass on tins...

Mike Lang

[ 07-23-2005, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Mike Lang ]

Besides Petes fish, which weighed in close to 55lbs, somebody took a 48 in the middle of the night out east 2 weeks ago on a tin! Go figure!

D.J., Mike, MontaukDave, you'd both know. Good for Montauk Pete, then. Fish like that deserve to go to guys who've put in their time.

After I wrote the post, another surf-tin fish came back to memory. I believe someone had a 48 or 50 at Robert Moses, a few years ago, casting a small diamond in the middle of the day (!!). There was some discussion of it here on SOL.

Kastmaster, hah. I'd'a thought the action of a Kastmaster was too frantic. I'd'a been wrong.