Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
codfish

BP, will they restock the ocean???

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

They should be axed.Were was the contingency plan before they started drilling?They didnt have one.All they had was miles of useless buoys to soak up a small percentage of the oil.

As this thing continues to grow, and grow, it now not only threatens the future incomes of generations of Americans, but the viability of a large portion of the United States.

I can't help but wonder if at some point BP (British Petroleum) and their crack legal people don't somehow attempt a scheme to seperate even themselves from this greatest of disasters, throw in the towel, and file bankrupcy.

This spill will become so large, no single entity can possibly have the means, financial or otherwise to not only clean it up, but make long term restitution to the millions of Americans who will eventually be faced with the loss of not only thier incomes, but homes, boats, and businesses. frown.gif

View PostAs this thing continues to grow, and grow, it now not only threatens the future incomes of generations of Americans, but the viability of a large portion of the United States.

I can't help but wonder if at some point BP (British Petroleum) and their crack legal people don't somehow attempt a scheme to seperate even themselves from this greatest of disasters, throw in the towel, and file bankrupcy.

This spill will become so large, no single entity can possibly have the means, financial or otherwise to not only clean it up, but make long term restitution to the millions of Americans who will eventually be faced with the loss of not only thier incomes, but homes, boats, and businesses. frown.gif

Using just one of the "Clean Water Act" provisions they can now be fined to the tune of 10 billion, just for what has gone on now.

Let's also remember that their stock tanked 15% yesterday in the UK and the US.

They're also in the process of converting barges into floating hotels for workers to come out and work in the issue, so obviously they have no faith that this is going to end any time soon.

At best, BP will go into receivership and will become a US company until they generate enough profit to pay the fines.

At worst the companies finances will be allowed to dwindle, execs will take huge buyouts when they jettison, and it will be a shell worth pennies on the dollar with them leaving the US to figure out how to cap the leak and clean up.

I need everyone to remember this when you do two things:

-Put the key in your car and drive anywhere. The demand for oil comes from us. We made it profitable and reasonable for them to act negligently.

-When you go and vote in the next election. We need to hold these guys accountable. I don't care who does it, but it needs to be done.

It is absolutely brutal down there. Unbelievable that, with all the technology available today, they can not cap it some how. The oil is out. it's going to cause more and more damage.

Just a horrible situation.

It's astonishing to me that they cant just figure out how to put a coupling on the pipe or something and reroute the oil to tankers or something... depressing stuff for the environment and for the people of the US for decades to come.

The scope and long term effects this thing is gonna have is to broad to even immagine.This is gonna be very devastating,and the biggest disaster to hit this country since its begginings.frown.gif

View PostAs this thing continues to grow, and grow, it now not only threatens the future incomes of generations of Americans, but the viability of a large portion of the United States.

Bob, from almost day 1 they have been contemplating how the sliver out of responsibility. Early on they were hiring commercial fishermen who were obviously out of work because of this disaster. the fishermen were more then happy to help. BP had their lawyers draw up some crazy contract which stated by helping clean up, the fishermen would be compensated, but at the same time, they would waive any rights to sue over lost wages from fishing...cwm13.gif friggin scumbags..

View Post with all the technology available today, they can not cap it some how.

The problem is this is the first time this has happened 1 mile deep. The techniques they've tried worked at less deep levels. Everything turns to ice and compresses at those levels frown.gif

I agree w/ BobG that they'll Chap. 11 or 7 when the times comes, probably when the politicians find some loophole (the criminal investigation is most likely the loophole) to lift the $750M damage limit...

And I'm still disappointed we haven't had coast guard and navy ships help out trying to skim the junk offshore. It's almost like they're distancing themselves to say "well, it's their fault so they should do it" instead of doing the right thing and just treating it as a giant disaster and helping out in whatever way we can (this isn't even worth discussing at a Repub vs. Dem whatever level...it's a disaster area and should be treated as such)...

View Post

And I'm still disappointed we haven't had coast guard and navy ships help out trying to skim the junk offshore. It's almost like they're distancing themselves to say "well, it's their fault so they should do it" instead of doing the right thing and just treating it as a giant disaster and helping out in whatever way we can (this isn't even worth discussing at a Repub vs. Dem whatever level...it's a disaster area and should be treated as such)...

That's exactly how I feel. I couldn't care less at this point what happens to BP.

We need the oil so if it's not them it will be someone else drilling for it, I personally think they will survive easily.

Theirs plenty of time for the blame game, fix the freaking pipe and clean the stuff up.... it should be a national priority and to this point it seems like our Government is twiddling it's thumbs.

I don't get it....headscratch.gif

The local BP stations will start losing business at an alarming rate, which is tough for the owners who had nothing to do with the accident. That means more business for Mobil (Exxon), who everyone has already "forgiven" for their huge disaster. Let's not forget that Exxon barely paid any of the money that the US Govt asked for.

In a few years, people will be buying BP gas, possibly under a different name. When you're the 3rd biggest oil player in the world, you don't just go out of business overnight. People still need oil, and they still own a lot of drilling sites.