Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Terry Mac

Memorial Yak Bass today, 49 3/4 Lbs

42 posts in this topic

What's up gang. Almost broke 50 today.......HappyWave.gif

49" 49 3/4 lbs from the yak out front in SJ.

I had a pretty good weekend and released a bunch with a few over 25lbs from the sand.

Today I decided to take a beach launch and go look for some bunks. Didn't take to long to find them. Hope everyone had a great memorial day.

sounds like an awesome day, good for you, had to be a great ride, im jealous drool.gif went out on maiden voyage in replacement hull. stayed well back in the brackish area west of canal to stay away from the boat traffic and wind, any advise on the rivers would be appreciated. dont trust myself going out front. a lot to learn to fish this area, lived in the r.b. area for years and got spoiled, really miss that convenience.

I would of dropped a half ounce sinker down her gullet and called it even (honest angler,rare). I'm definitely jealous, hellova SB! Nice shot man! cwm27.gifhighfive.gif

Thanks Gents! Ok I suck at stories, but will give and attempt.

Yes, I went to the dark side and went looking for bunker at the top of the tide out front. I kept off the beach about a mile and just drifted as I listened for pops on the surface. The bunker were in very small pods and kept well below the surface except for and occasional surface pop by a couple baits. They didn't appear nervous and were very difficult to get onto and snag. It took me 45 minutes to finally snag up.

I took off the snag hook off and repositioned a big circle ½ way between the back of the dorsal and tail. I piched her in with an underhand lob and it didn't take long for the pickup, probably only 2 min. I could feel the bunk getting nervous and then a quick steady bend in the rod took over for the next 15 minutes. What a blast, she went deep and stayed deep for most of the battle. For a few minutes I thought it might have been a brown shark, until I saw her swimming parallel to the yak around 8 feet deep to my starboard side. I was getting towed for quite a bit with steady pressure on the rod and

twice had to dip my rod blank and point it towards the bottom in order to turn the yak and clear the bow.

When I finally settled her down and got her close I said to myself dam, this looks to be a fifty and at that point made the decision to keep her. I was able to grab her big lower lip which felt like a broom-handle, the slipped the boga on while I grabbed for my rope to slide though the gills. It was a slow paddle back into shore and I had to come in about 15 blocks south from where I launched where my wife was enjoying the day with some friends.

Good thing I tucked away my rolleeze wheels into my hull which made it possible to pull the yak back up the beach and transformed my yak into a great fish transporter. Tons of people and cute kids ran n up to me as I walked north with my catch and it to be honest it made the whole morning quite memorable and brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.