Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FisherTim

Penn 714z drag question

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

My 714z drag knod was turning when pulling line off. I checked it and there's only one washer in there!

It's a solid white "plastic" washer.

I found the schematic and see there's supposed to be 2 washers. Can you tell them apart? Reel is in excellent condition so I don't want to buy the kit Scott's sells since I doubt I need all the parts. And their shipping costs suck.

Thanks guys

There's three pc's under the drag-knob, first in the spool(bottom) is the white teflon washer (part 56T-714) next is your Metal keyed washer (part 57-430) sounds like that's the one missing, then the drag spring (part 54-714) and last is the drag-knob. Make sure the rear drag-washer (part 60-716 in in place on the spool sleeve (part 40-716) or your click spring will drop under the ratchet on the spool sleeve.

How did I know you would have an answer!

I guess the washer I'm missing is the rear drag washer.

I'll pick one up somewhere.

Anybody here got one?

Thanks,

Tim

View PostThere's three pc's under the drag-knob, first in the spool(bottom) is the white teflon washer (part 56T-714) next is your Metal keyed washer (part 57-430) sounds like that's the one missing, then the drag spring (part 54-714) and last is the drag-knob. Make sure the rear drag-washer (part 60-716 in in place on the spool sleeve (part 40-716) or your click spring will drop under the ratchet on the spool sleeve.

who was that masked man???? the spinfisher guru...

Reading this in the clear light of day and looking at the schematic again I realized you meant the METAL washer. Which you did highlite in red. That's the one alright.

Think I know where I can get one w/o huge s&h fee.

Thanks again.

Yep the METAL washer Tim, How's the teflon washer, is it still smooth? If the drag spring left rings cut into it than you need to replace it also, Sorry.

I know the shipping really stinks, if I had a spare I would sent it, your going to love that reel, there little reels with BIG B A ll's, there little brother the 716 is the same, BIG B A LL's for a little reel.biggrin.gif

View Postthere little reels with BIG B A ll's, biggrin.gif

Youre telling me! i use a 714Z for most of my FW fishing and loaded an extra spool of 8lb flame fireline for flukin in shallow water. I landed fluke up to 7lbs with that little reel. Guys on the Party boats laugh at me cwm27.gif

I do like this reel. Good size and has a solid feel.

I can get the washer.

Now I'm gonna try to get another one or a 712z.

Got a 720z I'm gonna try to trade off.

View PostYoure telling me! i use a 714Z for most of my FW fishing and loaded an extra spool of 8lb flame fireline for flukin in shallow water. I landed fluke up to 7lbs with that little reel. Guys on the Party boats laugh at me cwm27.gif

Damm I wonder where one finds a strong little reel such as this rascal ,If I was on same party Boat I would laugh at you also, your wife dresses you funny and sends you out to play . Gotcha Al

View PostDamm I wonder where one finds a strong little reel such as this rascal ,If I was on same party Boat I would laugh at you also, your wife dresses you funny and sends you out to play . Gotcha Al

gee i got it from some old geezer in FL. But dont mind him, he must be going senile for giving up such a fine piece of fishing gear tongue.giftongue.gifmoon.gifbiggrin.gif

View PostYoure telling me! i use a 714Z for most of my FW fishing and loaded an extra spool of 8lb flame fireline for flukin in shallow water. I landed fluke up to 7lbs with that little reel. Guys on the Party boats laugh at me cwm27.gif

Are you sure it's the reel that they're laughing at?biggrin.gif