Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
numbskull

Stella Problem

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I bought a new Stella SW 5000. I've been building a rod for it. During test casting I have noticed a disturbing knock/vibration that occurs during steady slow retrieves of heavy plugs (2.5 oz) that create some resistance. It occurs near the peak of the upstroke and bottom of the downstroke. It is not much, but very noticable....sort of like a rough bearing in a calcutta or a very fine grain of grit in a levelwind. At first I thought it was the spool, which has a lot of slop in the oscillator connection....the spool and shaft moves up and down 1/32 of an inch when you lightly push or pull on it. Today, however, I noticed there is also some slop in the connection between the bail arm and rotor. I have tried to take pictures to show this (not very well). It is a small amount (only .005") but of course this is magnified several centimeters away at the roller (which can be wiggled in and out a mm or two towards the spool). When I put some tension on line in the roller, the bail arm moves towards the spool and the gap closes with a slight click/clunk. I think that is the cause of the vibration during retrieve. The gap is not mechanically required, the bail moves fine when pressed inward. I tried tightening the allen screw that holds it to the rotor but that did not help.

I'm posting this for two reasons.

First do other people notice this on their reel or is mine just an aberration that I should send to Shimano?

Secondly, if you are thinking of buying this model reel for plugging (fast retrieves or tuna jigging are likely non-issues) you might want to check for this slop in the one you are considering. It is only a small vibration but it produces a definite roughness that is noticeable only as you fish (not when you spin the reel without a load). It is annoying enough that if it was my Calcutta doing it I'd tear it down and replace a bearing. It is not something I expected from this quality a reel. I have not yet approached Shimano about it.......but I had wanted to use it and am not anxious to send it back right now. Probably I'll fish it and maybe as it fills up with salt and gunk it will become less noticeable.

First picture shows the gap with no tension on the bail

Second with light inward pressure on the bail.

Third with a feeler gauge in the gap.

Thanks for any feedback that is helpful.

I'm sure Alan Hawk,Ditch Or Scoobbie can answer the Questin Better than I But I know Shimanio will handle the Problem ASAP. Give them a call at 1-877-577-0600 You bought the " Best" & They will certainly take care of you! .

You said you baught it New?? Looks like someone worked on it with all those scratches??headscratch.gif

How old is the reel.

Did you buy it new.

Did it take a hit.

The pictures show a crinkley looking finish to the plating.

Which usually means the metal had been stressed or bent.

It may have been dropped or damaged some how.

Have you ever opened up the reel. Or I should say have you ever opened up a stella. Its not fun. ANd unless your 100% confident I wouldn't recommend opening it.

I'd send it in. They have a priority service for stella owners. Faster turn around times.

Your gonna have some play in the spool. Its usually in relation to how much gap is found between the pawl and the track of the worm gear.

A noticeable clunk at the top and bottom couild be a slight bend in the main shaft or a damaged pawl. (Or improper lubing.)

Ps... I now see that its brand new.......If you got it at a shop exchange it. If you bought it online contact the seller. If it from one of two ebay sellers I have seen some reels come from them that were a little off.

View PostHow old is the reel.

Did you buy it new.

Did it take a hit.

The pictures show a crinkley looking finish to the plating.

Which usually means the metal had been stressed or bent.

It may have been dropped or damaged some how.

Have you ever opened up the reel. Or I should say have you ever opened up a stella. Its not fun. ANd unless your 100% confident I wouldn't recommend opening it.

I'd send it in. They have a priority service for stella owners. Faster turn around times.

Your gonna have some play in the spool. Its usually in relation to how much gap is found between the pawl and the track of the worm gear.

A noticeable clunk at the top and bottom couild be a slight bend in the main shaft or a damaged pawl. (Or improper lubing.)

Ps... I now see that its brand new.......If you got it at a shop exchange it. If you bought it online contact the seller. If it from one of two ebay sellers I have seen some reels come from them that were a little off.

Exactly That's what I thought seeing the Pic!

If you did get it from Jeff at reelsellers let me know!

By the way so ya know... It was the other one on ebay that I've seen some iffy ones from.

It could also be the line hitting the guides and it would feel like something is making noise in the reel. Try reeling without the line going through the guides and see if it goes away.

could be . But usually you'd feel that everytime the rotor completed a 360 degree rev. He's getting it on the top and bottom of the osc. cycle.

I do know what your talking about as I've come accross that with a zb and a rrevalla jigging rod. But thats due to the guide distance and size relating to the spool diameter/rotor dia.

View PostI'm sure Alan Hawk,Ditch Or Scoobbie can answer the Questin Better than I But I know Shimanio will handle the Problem ASAP. Give them a call at 1-877-577-0600 You bought the " Best" & They will certainly take care of you! .

You said you baught it New?? Looks like someone worked on it with all those scratches??headscratch.gif

Never had the pleasure of fishing a Stella SW. My experience is limited to cranking ones on display.

numbskull fishes some areas where reels get dinged up wink.gif

The reel is new and hasn't been banged up (only test cast from a beach). Nothing has been stressed on it, the scratches in the picture are some kind of optical illusion (or smear of grease). The reel was special ordered by the local tackle shop for me.....I prefer not to get them involved and will deal directly with Shimano.

Since the problem is noticeable only under a moderate load and mostly at the same place in the spool cycle I'm pretty sure it is either the up and down play in the spool, the slop in the rotor arm, or perhaps some imperfection/slop in the oscillating gear (maybe the pawl needs to wear in some where it changes direction top and bottom). I'd think I would notice the latter, though, when cranking without a load.

I don't think it is guide slap (the rod does have a LCSG 16 collector, however)...I'm familiar with that and this knock seems to be coming up the reel stem into the reel seat. It is not happening each rotation of the bail. I'm pretty sure it is the bail arm, but it occurs to me I should test this by shimming the arm after a cast and seeing if it resolves.

Do guys with Stellas note this same slop/play in the bail arm of their reels? I have a Sustain that has some, but to a lessor degree than the Stella.

View Post

Do guys with Stellas note this same slop/play in the bail arm of their reels? I have a Sustain that has some, but to a lessor degree than the Stella.

I've got a 5000SW as well and have never had an issue like the one you describe. I will go home tonight after work and give the reel a close inspection to see if there is anything out of whack and get back to you.

But whatever the outcome let us know what Shimano has to say about your reel as I'm interested to see what their diagnosis is.