Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stripercrazy

wind canal question(s)

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

biggrin.gif crosswindsredface.gifcwm27.gif I was thinking about winds this weekend and the canal flow...I was thinking inside the canal the wind would mean less with the water only going 2 ways but bringing bait into the canal it would mean more...I hit the skunk hard sundaycwm27.gif and from what I seen from my bike I wasn't alone.I was thinking with the fish going north there would be some fish going thru even with the lack of bait i seen sunday..there was a good number sun mourning fishing around me I didn't seen one fish caught we also tried 2-3-4 times and places durning the day...I'm just wondering whats anyones thoughts on wind in a general sence...with 2 ways to feed bait into the ditch...am I wrong to think the macks and whiteing come into the canal from the east end in the spring, pogys from the west...bill couch caught a squid on a pencilcwm27.gif thanks for any insightbiggrin.gif ed

maybe the winds were telling you to go back to RI where you belongcwm27.gif

big school of blues wwent threw sat am thinking they pushed alot of bait out of the canal on there way threw, tuff to fish alot of places in the canal with a southern wind on the east turn, surface pushes fast, i know there were fish but not many after sat am,

Certainly the presence of bait is important but when you start fishing(especially in the dark) you need to figure out where in the water column the fish/bait are.

The few general observations I have about jigging the canal are(not much topwater action at night):

With little to no wind it's easy to maintain a certain depth or the bottom by counting down, watching the line or feeling the bottom by holding the line.

With crosswind in either direction of the current, you cast up current and the wind bows your line further up/down current. If you hold your rod tip up while waiting for your jig to get down to the depth you want, the wind resistance on the line increases the time it takes to get down. The more wind, the farther up current you need to cast to get to the bottom. The further up current you cast the closer in your jig is.

If you're using a spinning reel you can let alot of line out and let it freeline down which helps opposed to a conventional that isn't as easy to freeline down. I've found that being able to let alot of line out with a spinning reel means you don;t have to cast as far up current and can get to rocks farther from shopre than with a conventional under the same conditiona.

Mono has higher wind resistance than the same strength braid and is more bouyant making it even harder with mono.

If you let extra line out and lay it on the water immediately after your jig hits the water, you'll find it's traveling the same direction and speed as the lure and will get down alot faster and consistently.

Then when you start fishing you can go through the depths and once you find the range that's working you can get back there consistently.

View Postmaybe the winds were telling you to go back to RI where you belongcwm27.gif

big school of blues wwent threw sat am thinking they pushed alot of bait out of the canal on there way threw, tuff to fish alot of places in the canal with a southern wind on the east turn, surface pushes fast, i know there were fish but not many after sat am,

WOW, Brutal! Although I wouldn't expect much in the RI forum if I said, "hey man, where are all the fish?"

View PostWOW, Brutal! Although I wouldn't expect much in the RI forum if I said, "hey man, where are all the fish?"

yeeh but have you ever tried to land en eddy on a cold feb morning, i think eddy knows im just kidding, or am i?cwm27.gif

View PostCertainly the presence of bait is important but when you start fishing(especially in the dark) you need to figure out where in the water column the fish/bait are.

The few general observations I have about jigging the canal are(not much topwater action at night):

With little to no wind it's easy to maintain a certain depth or the bottom by counting down, watching the line or feeling the bottom by holding the line.

With crosswind in either direction of the current, you cast up current and the wind bows your line further up/down current. If you hold your rod tip up while waiting for your jig to get down to the depth you want, the wind resistance on the line increases the time it takes to get down. The more wind, the farther up current you need to cast to get to the bottom. The further up current you cast the closer in your jig is.

If you're using a spinning reel you can let alot of line out and let it freeline down which helps opposed to a conventional that isn't as easy to freeline down. I've found that being able to let alot of line out with a spinning reel means you don;t have to cast as far up current and can get to rocks farther from shopre than with a conventional under the same conditiona.

Mono has higher wind resistance than the same strength braid and is more bouyant making it even harder with mono.

If you let extra line out and lay it on the water immediately after your jig hits the water, you'll find it's traveling the same direction and speed as the lure and will get down alot faster and consistently.

Then when you start fishing you can go through the depths and once you find the range that's working you can get back there consistently.

Hey John, It's too bad there aren't a few more "good guys" that are as observant around (year long)! By the way, when you get the butt cap, if they get the right adress, send me a pic. I might have to check it out and consider one!

but the rest weas true, tuff wind sat am, with the stonng curent can make throwing a plug a but tuff at times, that and the school of blues going threw pretyy much shut fishing down

View Postbut the rest weas true, tuff wind sat am, with the stonng curent can make throwing a plug a but tuff at times, that and the school of blues going threw pretyy much shut fishing down

Don't forget the seals, AKA fun killersfrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

enjoyed myself this weekbiggrin.gif learned alittle each daybiggrin.gif I'm going to start a notebookbiggrin.gif I get a few fish on those big shads on the west flow...I'm not a big logkeeping person but with the wind ,tide/flows and baiticon24.gifcwm27.gif