Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ditch Jigger

Curse of the first cast

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

O ye denizens of the surf, harken to my voice and pay heed to my words of wisdom. If ye be so fortunate as to stick a fish on thine first cast of the evening, after sending her back into the deep, packeth thine gear and run, don't walk, to thine chariot. For if thou persist in doubting the wisdom of this sage advice, the rest of thine night shall be fishless and filled with gnashing of teeth over lost artifacts.

Should ye rejoice in the confounding of thine enemies by invoking the heavens in celebration of their folly in not fishing the "wrong" spot on the "wrong" tide, even though thou knowest this to be folly, thy misfortune is guaranteed.

Actually, the rest of the evening on the "right" tide wasn't a total loss---but the single twinkie that showed an interest in my burnt offerings sisn't offset the loss of 3 Bills.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 11-01-2001).]

I firmly believe in the first cast curse. More often than not a fish on the first cast means the the only hit of the night. While retrieving my first cast of the night I purposely adjust my wading belt, scratch behind my ear, swat at imaginary flies, search the midnight sky for shooting stars....anything to avoid detecting a strike on the first cast. You see I try to outwit the curse....it I don't feel the hit it didn't happen, and therefore the night is saved!

Ditch - hope it was the lesser of the three billswink.gif!

At that point I always stay with the same plug the rest of the evening. I know it's wrong but I do it. I think. "Well, I got one on this plug...."

------------------

Berkeley Striper Club...Seaside Park, NJ

fishguy.gif

Arby during the "Fall Striper Run"

Fishing for albies off my buddies boat at the vineyard last month my first cast ended in a birds nest. while adjusting the mess I got it out and reeled up the deadly dick from the bottom and had a scup perfectly lipped hooked. WELL, needless to say I got nothing the rest of the day while the other two guys hooked up with albies, blues, and bass. It sucked to be me.

I hate when that happens, because then I don't get anything for quite a while but I don't give up and manage to lose a couple pounds of jigs and maybe a plug or 2. Sometimes I get 2 more fish but usually that curse is accurate about as often as the announcing last cast thing will get you a fish on the last cast.

(I think 3 bills means bucktail jigs)

A few weeks ago......I got down to the beach around 3:45am walked down to the water and was going to work my way down to "my" spot. And Bam! first cast ...32" striper...and I was like oh man I wish that did not just happen. I almost went home but instead fished until about 9:30 with only one, very small, fish.

The curse of the first cast fish has been proven so many times I'm considering changing the name of the curse to "The Rule of the First Cast Fish". Yes, see also "sucker fish" under the Fishing Definitions in the articles section wink.gif

The only other rule that is so well proven is the Squidlips rule of "Laugh at Someone's Tackle and They'll Land a Monster". This rule was so long ago proven to be true that it was long ago changed to a rule rather than a curse smile.gif

TimS

Variation on the first cast rule: Hit a point near my house the other evening, first three casts I got three fish, not even a bump on the fourth cast so I put the rod away and went home. So, am I screwed for the next two trips?