AS Thunder Gloves modification / fix

Rate this topic

Jameso

I got my thunder gloves 2.5 years or so ago. I used them maybe a dozen times, but the velcro is spent (or cheap).

I am removing the existing velcro and replacing it + moving one of the attachment points over a bit so it fits my larger wrist better.

wish me luck and will be posting pics

-=-=-=-=-=-

EDIT

-=-=--

Ok, here we go. I found out what the deal was with the velcro. Back three years ago, they were using a very aggressive Hook side and a pretty poor loop side. So, after me using them about a dozen times, the loops were all broken.

A glove made in 2010 could be completely different. I had spoken to AS before about such matters and what I got from them was that depending on when one of their products was made could dictate where it was made and what materials it was made from.

I like the gloves though and they need improvement, but its the best that is available for now that has a Kevlar index finger.

So, one glove I left their hook on and one I sewed new hook on. Both of them I sewed new Loop on to the strap. I hope my loop holds up better than theirs did.

Pics:

dsci0282good1.jpg

dsci0283good2.jpg

dsci0288good3.jpg

dsci0291good4.jpg

dsci0293good5.jpg

dsci0296good6.jpg

dsci0297good7.jpg

dsci0299good8.jpg

View PostI got my thunder gloves 2.5 years or so ago. I used them maybe a dozen times, but the velcro is spent (or cheap).

I am removing the existing velcro and replacing it with premium hook and loop + moving one of the attachment points over a bit so it fits my larger wrist better.

wish me luck and will be posting pics

headscratch.gif

If I get 1-1/2 to 2 seasons out of mine I'm pretty happy at 20 bucks a pair. I still think well worth the investment at that point.

View Postheadscratch.gif

If I get 1-1/2 to 2 seasons out of mine I'm pretty happy at 20 bucks a pair. I still think well worth the investment at that point.

As I said, I wore then a dozen times. There is a big defference between a season, which to me would be wearing them 100 times than a dozen.

View PostAs I said, I wore then a dozen times. There is a big defference between a season, which to me would be wearing them 100 times than a dozen.

My bad I saw 2.5 yrs. not the dozen times.kooky.gif I'd be pretty pissed then too. Like a lot of things with AS the quality seems very inconsistent. Over the last 3 seasons I just purchased my 2nd pair and I probably do wear them about 50 times a season, so to me it's well worth the money. Again, I'd be ticked off if the velcro was falling off after a dozen times too, or the palm wearing away. Just like their bags I've had very good luck with their quality where others are talking about seams ripping within 2 trips- just hasn't happened to me, weird.