Carp

Yougster

Carp009.jpg

I 've been fly fishing for carp on both sides of the hudson river for several years now. carp will not react to lures or flies like other fish. carp must be feeding in order for you to have a chance at catching one. if there are not feeding go see a good film. usually fly fishers try to sight fish for carp but if you can not sight fish, then chum you must. bread works but i like carp pellets which dissolve in the water and do not feed the fish but leave a food scent in the water. it is sort of like standing outside of a good BBQ spot.

pedigree dog biscuits work as a bread replacement when glued to a hook.

there is no rush like a carp taking your bait and roaring off across the water!

Bill

tried like hell to catch carp in the hudson ( poughkeepsie area ) on everything caught nothing but monsterous catfish. ive had luck with worms for carp tiny little trout worms found in a garden under rocks.My brother caught one on an in-line spinner that was so shiny gold youdve have sworn it was a masheer. as for eating carp in blind taste tests its been rated higher then mahi mahi but i watched a video of professional chefs trying to fillet one an he about gave up due to there odd bone structure they get 12lbs of useable meat for every 60lbs of fillets. there has been a big push to make carp a popular menu item to save the great lakes

these things can pull the stripes off a striped bass

tryed to explain this some old salts at the beach the other day they just kept telling me no hahakooky.gif

• 1 month later...

My brother-in-law's Dad used to run a fish market in the midwest and they sold fried fish "sandwiches" which were not really sandwiches but rye bread served with fried fish fillets. They had mostly carp and catfish sandwiches. They had the fried fish, bread and pickles on the side. The fish were pretty bony but they tasted pretty good.

One day after I got out of the Army I went to a small lake off the Missouri River. For some reason there were what seemed like hundreds of carp swimming back and forth right next to a rocky jetty that went out a little ways out into the lake. It was in the middle of summer about this time of the year.

If I hunched down so the carp couldn't see me they would hit a small hook with corn on it. I must've caught around thirty carp and threw them all in my trunk. I took them to my sister's house and gave them to her. I don't think my brother-in-law liked it cause he had to come out and clean them cause I wasn't good at doing that. cwm27.gif

The Bucks stop here...

View Postcarp dont normally strike lures--you can use flies for them--deer hair bugs on top--try casting them under a mulberry tree when berries are ripe--have found best wayt to catch is to chum with creamed corn and use a small hook baited with corn kernals--no weights--they are very spooky----as for eating carp the best way is smoked--but you do need to find places with clean water

if you decide to keep carp to eat,after you catch one cut the gills and make a slice in the tail on both sides to bleed them--just like blues

then gut them and keep on ice

when you get home skin them and cut out the red lateral line--all the mud taste is in that--carp are a very bony fish--if you cut the carp into managable chunks--say 2 inch wide strips -dip in buttermilk and egg and coat with corn meal and deep fry--very tasty

if you are interested in smoking them send me an email--will give you details on how to

just use the berries on a hook smile.gif

#1 white bucktail. #2 bunker chunk. #3 bone Redfin