Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yougster

Carp

20 posts in this topic

I found them at my pnd. Can I catch them with lures of do the never eat. I tried throwing a spinner at them and no reactions. It was right in front of their nose. Also can I eat or keep them In Ny?

Corn with little(or no weight)icon14.gif

While your waiting you could also try throwing some bread bits into the water letting them float on top creating a little chum slick; hopefully the carp will start feeding on the bread. When they do gently hook a piece of bread, wet with water and then gently lob your bait into the chum slick. Watching them slurp your bait on the surface is a pisser.

carp dont normally strike lures--you can use flies for them--deer hair bugs on top--try casting them under a mulberry tree when berries are ripe--have found best wayt to catch is to chum with creamed corn and use a small hook baited with corn kernals--no weights--they are very spooky----as for eating carp the best way is smoked--but you do need to find places with clean water

if you decide to keep carp to eat,after you catch one cut the gills and make a slice in the tail on both sides to bleed them--just like blues

then gut them and keep on ice

when you get home skin them and cut out the red lateral line--all the mud taste is in that--carp are a very bony fish--if you cut the carp into managable chunks--say 2 inch wide strips -dip in buttermilk and egg and coat with corn meal and deep fry--very tasty

if you are interested in smoking them send me an email--will give you details on how to

I too live in Suffolk county and would never advise eating any freshwater fish, especially carp. I am an avid bass fisherman, but carp can be pretty fun. Depending on where you are fishing I would suggest corn, but I love using white bread, just float it on the top. If you would like send me a pm about where your fishing for these carp and I could probably give you some info, but Im sure once you catch your first carp you will figure out alot. Try to be as stealthy as possible!

I caught my first two carp last week on corn and it was a blast. I would always go for the bass but now I find myself waiting to see if I can get the carp to bite. I used corn that I soaked in vanilla extract.

I chummed a bit of corn first. The carp in my pond were not that big 2-3 pounds guessing.

I went to another pond that has HUGE carp, they look like logs and tried the same technique but they were not very interested in my corn.

They were also all on the top of the water just hanging out. They were between 2 and 3 feet in length if not more. Would love to catch one of those!

c4charlie--if you are interested in big carp i know a couple of little ponds in your area that are loaded with them--average 8-12 lbs with a few up to 20-very little pressure because of limited access--i put a canoe in one of those ponds and when you hook into them it is a blast being dragged around--they are just off rte 22

View Postc4charlie--if you are interested in big carp i know a couple of little ponds in your area that are loaded with them--average 8-12 lbs with a few up to 20-very little pressure because of limited access--i put a canoe in one of those ponds and when you hook into them it is a blast being dragged around--they are just off rte 22

I'm curious as well!! highfive.gif

View PostI caught my first two carp last week on corn and it was a blast. I would always go for the bass but now I find myself waiting to see if I can get the carp to bite.

C4 Charlie:

Welcome to the assylum. I hooked my first carp in 2003 on a 4" power worm meant for LMB and I have been obsessed ever since. These things can pull the stripes off a Striped Bass!!

From what I have learned suspending Carp are typically not going to feed. There generally is a good reason for them to be up off the bottom, (low DO, foul bottom ect..) You need to actually get them to the bottom by introducing groundbait. Stuff that makes a cloud will leave a trail and often tempt them to go down.

If you want to learn more about these grat fish, come and visit the Carp Anglers Group Web site and poke around on the forum. We would be glad to steer you in the right direction.

bobk257:

I live in the same town as C4 Charlie.....Carp are more than a casual interest to me...So If you don't mind passing on some info send me a PM. I am a member of CAG and I am a strictly Catch n Release Carp angler and in accordance with CAG philosphy we all practice carp safety.

i was at a local pond in the area or c4charlie and the rest of u guys last night guy had 2 nice ones and was taking them headscratch.gif i wouldnt eat them but hey to each his own... probably about 30inchers big fish im not really into carp but really getting into LMB (thats what i was looking for with no success) also i have seen BIGGER ones cruising in this holecwm31.gif