Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peter3962

Where can i spearfish?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys, im going to the beach with my family tomorrow and am wondering which beaches are lifeguarded but have separate areas to spear/polefish. Please post as many beaches that offer this as you know. Thanks!

I always see guys in wetsuits with spear guns gettin' fish at the jetty in Belmar south of 16th Ave......the surfing beach and no one seems to bother them. They just walk onto the beach, suit up and go in............

Ive fished there many times, one would think that area holds no fish but on a calm day you see plenty down there! By the way Mr.Bigdeal, i landed a few stripers on the mitchell nautil, it performed greatsmile.gif

when i worked on the condos in asbury park a guy i worked with used to do it there before work. he got some nice blackfish. said he saw some nice bass but i dont ever rememeber him taking any.

I think this spearfishing mess should not be allowed anywhere. Its not legal to snag gamefish so what makes it ok to shot them with a spear gun? A couple years ago a friend I was fishing with snagged a guy that was trying to shoot Sheepshead at the Oregon Inlet Bridge in NC. He never saw the guy. Turns out he grabbed the bottom rig to move it out of his way for some reason and the hook was set hard into his hand. He fought pretty goodbiggrin.gif

Dean

View PostI think iv seen poeple do it a Shark river, but im not positive?

Yeah, but be careful, I've fished those docks alot, and have seen many divers come very close to the docks where people were fishing. I like to keep to myself, but I've witnessed alot of fishermen around me start to throw a tantrum, pacing back and forth and jumping up and down like Fred from the Flintstones, and then grab their rod and start casting bunker snags, and heavy weights at the divers.

I've also seen one fishermen intentionally snag a diver's flag/tube who came too close to the dock. And then tell the diver if he wanted his flag back to come up on the dock and get it... he didn't get it back to say the least. If your going to dive, just stay away from the fishermen fishing the docks who were there before you. Because they will get quite hostile. Just a heads up.

Any jetty is fine, always shoot, down never up with speargun otherwise it can leave the water and kill someone on the jetty.

Ok for those fishing remember divers can only dive at slack tides in the inlets.

Time and time again some fool who's been fishing for hours and not catching a thing is worried that divers are going to scare the fish away.

If he only knew that fish are often swimming all around their bait and don't give it two thoughts.

If you hook a diver on purpose you are risking killing them. Fishermen can and have been arrested for this. But a a whooping is more in order.beatin.gif

Boaters if you come up to a wreck and beach divers are on the wreck,just give a wide berth and get up current,kill your engine and drift back onto the wreck.To leave just pull your anchor and drift a safe distance away before starting engines. Most divers will put you on the best part of the wreck for blackfish etc.

And if you choose to drive over the flag and then anchor up your anchor often ends up tied to the wreck and you have to cut anchor to leave. Or so I heard.biggrin.gif