Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FearlessMinnow

My power pro line keeps getting knots during the casts/retrieve

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

This weekend is actually the first weekend this year I've used my saltwater rod with power pro line on it. Haven't used it for probably 9 months.

The problem I've had is my line is developing a lot of knots. They are the kind that if you pull hard enough on both ends it'll unravel although sometimes not.

Any hypothesis on why I'm getting them and what the best cure is? Will it be a new batch of line or can I still save what I have?

I can't help but wonder if it's not your guides?

That used to happen to me from time to time as well. I recently bought a new rod with "concept guides", and I'm using #30 Power Pro on it, and I have not had a single wind knot this season.

i have this problem sometimes too. i beleive it happens when the line isn't tight when you are realing in. try and make sure there is always presure on the line and it usualy does the trick for me.

Overspooling is the biggest culprit.Line that is 9 months old should still be fine but if it were me i always respool out of habit after i fished it for awhile.Also get in the habit if your not already to manually put the line on the rolller after your cast and to prevent a loop from forming on top of the spool.One last thing that could be happening is when your throwing very light lures your line will wind too loose on your retrieve and invite loop knots to form.Spool the line on tight initially and manually use your hand to keep the proper tension on your line throughout your fishing day.It will soon become second nature good luck

After I add new pp to my spool I tie on a heavy weigh 1-3oz and I cast it oust a few times to tighten the line on the spool. Don't have any real problems afterwards.

OK try this I've been doing it and it seems to work for me.Take a big old barrel swivel tie it to a telephone pole.Tie your line to it and walk away.I usuallywalk all my line off the reel.Then I reel it in with the drag tight and pressure on the line.I normally fish 30lb suffix on my pluggin rod and 50lb suffix on my bait and big plug stick.I had to use PP on my big stick cause they where out of suffix.I've been doing this trick to the PP rod and haven't had the wind knot problem yet this season.Try it it's tons cheaper then buyin new line.OH yea try Suffix!!!!!

FCbiggrin.gif

you should search windknots because there is a lot of discussion about this -

so here is a short list off the top of my head -

Close bail manually and check to insure the line is not over the face of the reel and is on the line roller. This takes 1/4 second to do after some practice and repetition. This, in my opinion is the #1 problem and is operator error. If the line is over the face of reel, on the next cast, the loop will be ripped out and you have a big big mess

Some reels are simply not braid compatible - what reel do you have?

Some reels are semi braid compatible

Stacking problem - sometimes a braid compatible reel leaves a gap in the top of the bottom of the spool, then you throw windknots

Overfull spool - cut some back

wind - rarely the problem

there are more I cant think of them right now

If you have a compatible reel, then you will learn the things that need to be done to keep things straight, then you'll be a happy guy.

an example of an incompatible setup would be something like a Chinese Penn 550SSG with 20# power pro

an example of a compatible setup would be Shimano Spheros 6000 and 50# Suffix

also, Power Pro is braid russian roulette, sometimes you get a good batch and sometimes you dont, try Fireline or Suffix

Cut off 10yds of line every time you get a wind knot until the problem stops. Then remember how far your line is from the spool lip so that you can prevent overfilling the next time you change line. On more thing to add, a smooth casting motion instead of a jerky one will somehow reduce casting related problems with braid.

The posts on this problem covered almost 100% of the causes/solutions, there is one more thing to try. I like to "feather" my cast, which is using my finger to stop the cast just a little short. This keeps the line tight when flipping over the bail, this helps believe me.

Icepants

Also once you close the bail make sure your line is positioned correctly on the spool before you start reeling. Then pinch the braid and add tension when taking up the slack before you start working your lure. That will help lower your wind knot percentages. I also like to feather my cast to eliminate excess line.

Unfortunately those nasty knots are a fact of lifefrown.gif